Question New GPU only showing a black screen

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (undervolted -0.075V)
GPU: RTX 2060 Super / 3070
PSU: Seasonic Core GM-550

Hi guys, I just got a 3070 (Gigabyte Aorus) but I'm having issues where it only shows a black screen after the PC is turned on. GPU fans and RGB turn on with the system but nothing else happens. There was only once when the PC booted but after a few seconds the screen went black again. When going back to my 2060 everything works perfectly fine. The seller of the GPU said his PC was running perfectly fine with a Ryzen 5 5600 and a 550W PSU.

So far I've tried: updating BIOS, uninstalling old graphics drivers with DDU in safe mode, restarting PC, making sure all cables are plugged in, using only 1 monitor, unplugging all other USB devices except for KB & mouse.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Aug 26, 2023
I had the same problem with my Zotac GTX 650 Ti. I had to get it refunded. That no signal behavior usually means the card is dead and especially if you bought it used this can be an issue.

Contact the seller about the problem if it's not working.

You could also try a different display port if you have the cables for it, and obviously make sure all the power pin connectors are in place, and that it's seated correctly.

Other than trying to force it to load in the BIOS settings, by setting the primary display to PCI or PEG, that's all you can do.

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Not completely related, but is it possible for me to have both GPUs installed at the same time, just to see if the 3070 is detected by the system? But this would mean that I have to figure out the PSU issue as well, maybe plugging in my older PSU to the 3070 only?

Aug 26, 2023
Not completely related, but is it possible for me to have both GPUs installed at the same time, just to see if the 3070 is detected by the system? But this would mean that I have to figure out the PSU issue as well, maybe plugging in my older PSU to the 3070 only?
If it's a PSU problem you can test it with a multimeter, just have to get it running outside a PC.

You can also try putting it under load and seeing how it holds up. I would try this before you practically gut the PC.

As for putting both GPUs in, you could, but the PSU might not handle them both if it's only a 550w, as mentioned it is a little low for that card.

I would recommend booting off of your integrated with the card in the system, to see if its detected. Just plug your video right into the motherboard and boot with the 3070 in the system.

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
If it's a PSU problem you can test it with a multimeter, just have to get it running outside a PC.

You can also try putting it under load and seeing how it holds up. I would try this before you practically gut the PC.

As for putting both GPUs in, you could, but the PSU might not handle them both if it's only a 550w, as mentioned it is a little low for that card.

I would recommend booting off of your integrated with the card in the system, to see if its detected. Just plug your video right into the motherboard and boot with the 3070 in the system.
I just tried running both Cinebench R23 and FurMark at the same time, system seems to be stable on both the 520W and 550W PSU with the 2060 installed.

I have an AMD CPU so I don't have integrated graphics, but I could borrow my friend's system with an Intel CPU and use that to test? Should I do anything before I try using his system to make sure I don't break his machine as well?

I was wondering if I can just plug the 3070 in with my current system, and power it with the other PSU that I have, would that work?

Aug 26, 2023
I just tried running both Cinebench R23 and FurMark at the same time, system seems to be stable on both the 520W and 550W PSU with the 2060 installed.

I have an AMD CPU so I don't have integrated graphics, but I could borrow my friend's system with an Intel CPU and use that to test? Should I do anything before I try using his system to make sure I don't break his machine as well?

I was wondering if I can just plug the 3070 in with my current system, and power it with the other PSU that I have, would that work?

As long as you're careful, and his system can handle the card, you can't hurt it, just make sure he can put his rig back the way he had it.

Since you've mostly ruled out a PSU problem, that's probably not causing it. If the 2060 is fine it's probably not the PCI-e slots.

As for your question about powering the new card with your other PSU, do you mean running the supply externally and plugging the connectors to the 3070? That's possible but I'd want to make sure it's a safe setup.

All indicators so far point to the card itself, but try your buddy's system if you can, see what that does. Worst it could do is crash too, then you'll know whether or not it's the 3070.

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
As for your question about powering the new card with your other PSU, do you mean running the supply externally and plugging the connectors to the 3070? That's possible but I'd want to make sure it's a safe setup.

All indicators so far point to the card itself, but try your buddy's system if you can, see what that does. Worst it could do is crash too, then you'll know whether or not it's the 3070.
Yup, I have another 520W Seasonic that I could use to power up the 3070 while still having the 2060 in my system to have a display output. Would that work? Do I just switch on both power supplies and turn the PC on?

Aug 26, 2023
You'd have to try it but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Just make sure everything is away from a fire hazard and such, PSUs only supply the needed power so it wouldn't short anything.

I say go for it!
Yup, I have another 520W Seasonic that I could use to power up the 3070 while still having the 2060 in my system to have a display output. Would that work? Do I just switch on both power supplies and turn the PC on?

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Unfortunately, I tested the GPU with my friend's system with a 850W PSU, wasn't able to get a display either and didn't have enough time to try booting with the iGPU to see if the system can detect the GPU either. Gonna try the 2 PSU method later on with my own system. Should I attempt reflashing the BIOS of the GPU since it probably doesn't have a stock BIOS?

Edit: When plugging in the 3070, the system just goes to the black screen and will only boot when it's unplugged. Unfortunate but I guess the card is completely dead now

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023
Unfortunately, I tested the GPU with my friend's system with a 850W PSU, wasn't able to get a display either and didn't have enough time to try booting with the iGPU to see if the system can detect the GPU either. Gonna try the 2 PSU method later on with my own system. Should I attempt reflashing the BIOS of the GPU since it probably doesn't have a stock BIOS?

Edit: When plugging in the 3070, the system just goes to the black screen and will only boot when it's unplugged. Unfortunate but I guess the card is completely dead now
It sounds like it's dead, yeah. Might want to look at getting a refund or maybe cash in on the warranty if it has one.