New GPU.... or new Monitor??

G

I'm in a bit of confusion here....
So i got 200$ to spend, and I'm unable to decide between a new GPU or a new display.
My current GPU is GTX 750 2GB OC and display is a 900p Dell E2014H.
Now I want to upgrade both but can't decide which one first.
My main concerns are:
1) The current 900p display gives me solid 60fps on the games i play (CS:GO, Rocket League, etc.) Now if i get a 1080p display, will my framerate drop?! Because I don't know how will the GTX 750 really perform then.
So my idea of a new display is halted by the worry that my games might suffer from frame dips and i want a 60fps in those fast-paced online games. If the 750 can still provide me 60fps, I'll get a new 1080p screen.

2) If it can't give solid 60fps then i should get a better GPU first, a GTX 1050 perhaps. But then I won't be using its power as i already get 60fps on my current setup.

So here's the thing, I can't decide what to upgrade first! The GPU or Display?
Should i first get a new GPU and then get a new monitor later on or get a new display then get a 1050 later?

Can someone please help me in this weird situation.

Solution
I would buy a 1080p monitor first. One of my friends had a GTX 750Ti and it held up quite well at 1080p and he didn't even turn down any settings. He was still able to play Rise of the Tomb Raider at max settings. Of course he didn't get a solid 60 but it was still what he considered playable and he didn't care about fps as long as the game ran fairly smooth. He recently upgraded to an AMD 8350 and GTX 1060 6gb but I would still recommend getting a new monitor because if you get a new graphics card then it will be a waste on that old 900p monitor. You will surely notice a huge difference jumping to 1080p and a 750 will be playable at that resolution. It is the perfect budget entry-level card for it. Save up for a GTX 1060 in the future...
Note that if you buy new monitor and find out that your current GPU is unable to deliver 60 fps at 1080p, you can still lower the resolution as a temporary solution until you can switch GPU too. If you start with switching GPU first, some of its power is going to be wasted, and there is nothing you can do about it until you buy new monitor too. Just my 2 cents.

fluffa

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
one of these options has a down side one does not :)

As you say buy new monitor GPU cant keep up one unhappy Sameer Sohail
buy a new GPU things run faster happy Sameer Sohail

really that simple, one carry's risk one does not

So on that premise get the GPU first, dropping a monitor from its native res always gives a crappy display with blurring

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I would buy a 1080p monitor first. One of my friends had a GTX 750Ti and it held up quite well at 1080p and he didn't even turn down any settings. He was still able to play Rise of the Tomb Raider at max settings. Of course he didn't get a solid 60 but it was still what he considered playable and he didn't care about fps as long as the game ran fairly smooth. He recently upgraded to an AMD 8350 and GTX 1060 6gb but I would still recommend getting a new monitor because if you get a new graphics card then it will be a waste on that old 900p monitor. You will surely notice a huge difference jumping to 1080p and a 750 will be playable at that resolution. It is the perfect budget entry-level card for it. Save up for a GTX 1060 in the future and you will be good to go for 1080p gaming. Would highly recommend that route. I would also suggest that you have at least a quad core CPU and 8gb of ram that would help to boost your gtx 750. Stick with that graphics card and get a good 1080p 24" monitor. You will be set for a while. You may have to turn down some settings but it will run and be playable.

Solution