[SOLVED] New GPU - Pc won't start at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2020
Hi!
Yesterday i purchased a new GPU. A GTR 2060. I installed it to my motherboard (a Asus pro gaming z170). When i hit the start button nothing happend, at all. No fans, no bios, nothing. I then removed the new gpu and replaced it with my old one (A nvidia titan Z card). The computer start perfect. I have a corsair 650w psu.
I even returned the gpu to the shop getting a new one, neither did that work, total i tried 3 brand new gpu cards.
I tried a few things already:
Upgrading bios to the latest
Removing RAM sticks to only use one whe trying the new gpu.
I made sure 100% gpu was connected as it should (even a small lamp at the gpu was lightning while the pc was off)

Any ides what could cause this problem? So with the old GPU the computer works fine, but with the new ones it wouldnt start.. ?
Thanks in advance for help.
Sorry, english is not my first language :)

Solution
what are your settings when you go to advanced --> onboard device config --> PCI-E

So you switched it over to UEFI and still no boot with the new video card?

Can you link us both cards that you purchased, maybe I can look at the specs and parts to see if there is a common difference. Off hand the only thing I can think of is that RTX uses a turing platform

---------------------------------------------
update:

So that last part gave me a pause. Went and searched for known compatibility with the board you are using. I found a list of known components that work.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...port.pdf?_ga=1.69847440.1203299464.1463489415

It appears that your Titan is the last known GPU...
Jan 20, 2020
Hi. Yes i plugged power connector to the new GPU, one 6+2 pin.
The PSU is corsair vs650
I im 99% sure GPu is properly seated in the slot.
Thanks for your reply!

Hi. Yes i plugged power connector to the new GPU, one 6+2 pin.
The PSU is corsair vs650
I im 99% sure GPu is properly seated in the slot.
Thanks for your reply!

Look at this.

Corsair VS 2017.
Tier C - Recommended for entry level desktops, low profile HTPCs, Office desktops, preferably GPUs with no external PCI-e power connection.

Corsair VS 2012
Tier E - Dangerous in multiple scenarios

I would replaced that bad quality PSU.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

Jan 20, 2020
Look at this.

Corsair VS 2017.
Tier C - Recommended for entry level desktops, low profile HTPCs, Office desktops, preferably GPUs with no external PCI-e power connection.

Corsair VS 2012
Tier E - Dangerous in multiple scenarios

I would replaced that bad quality PSU.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

So replacing the PSU could be a solution?
I just think its strange that the old titan z gpu works fine, which is very powerdemanding :p old SLI card which requires 2x 8 pin power

realism51

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
Lets go through a few diagnostics?
  1. Have you tried a different PSU cord 8 pin to that new GPU?
  2. Did you install any drivers for your motherboard?
  3. Is your BIOS current ?
  4. In your BIOS is your Primary Graphics GPU set to PEG/PCI-E? Your motherboard may be defaulting to integrated gpu setting and if your cpu does not support an integrated gpu then you will get this black screen no post.
  5. Try the card is a friends motherboard. It may very well be that there is an issue with the mobo and compatibility.
There is a real good chance that what you are experiencing is your motherboard being unable to supply the proper power through a MOSFET chip in the path of your GPU. Look at your motherboard for any irregular buldges or burns. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...wer-up-with-graphics-card-plugged-in.3255494/
This may help give you an idea of what to look for

Jan 20, 2020
Lets go through a few diagnostics?
  1. Have you tried a different PSU cord 8 pin to that new GPU?
  2. Did you install any drivers for your motherboard?
  3. Is your BIOS current ?
  4. In your BIOS is your Primary Graphics GPU set to PEG/PCI-E? Your motherboard may be defaulting to integrated gpu setting and if your cpu does not support an integrated gpu then you will get this black screen no post.
  5. Try the card is a friends motherboard. It may very well be that there is an issue with the mobo and compatibility.
There is a real good chance that what you are experiencing is your motherboard being unable to supply the proper power through a MOSFET chip in the path of your GPU. Look at your motherboard for any irregular buldges or burns. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...wer-up-with-graphics-card-plugged-in.3255494/
This may help give you an idea of what to look for

Hi!
First, thanks!

1.I tried diffrent PSU cord 8 pin, both in new and old PSU.
2.I havent, which drivers should i be looking for for the motherboard?
3.I updated my BIOS yesterday.
4.Not sure, but could this even be an issue since its working with my old GPU?
5.Would love to do that but dont have the possibility atm, probably there are not issues with the GPU since i tried 3 new ones, must be some issues with the mobo for sure.

Also tried to look on the mobo for damages but couldnt find any. :/

Last edited:

realism51

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
Hi!
First, thanks!

1.I tried diffrent PSU cord 8 pin, both in new and old PSU.
2.I havent, which drivers should i be looking for for the motherboard?
3.I updated my BIOS yesterday.
4.Not sure, but could this even be an issue since its working with my old GPU?
5.Would love to do that but dont have the possibility atm, probably there are not issues with the GPU since i tried 3 new ones, must be some issues with the mobo for sure.

Also tried to look on the mobo for damages but couldnt find any. :/

It is entirely possible that a different card can trigger the PEG being swapped. If you have a second PCI-E slot have you tried it in that one. Some motherboards just may not like certain GPU's.

Consider this a remote possibility, but how big and heavy are each respective GPU's? With how massive some of these have become, it is possible that your new card is either top heavy or too heavy in general and is creating a pressure on your PCI-E slot (basically bending in your board) causing it to not work properly. Some cases have real solid systems to screw a card in, but sometimes that may not be enough. I would almost suggest lay your pc on its side and try turning it on.
I've had RAM that had not enough room and cooling pipes pressed against one of the sticks causing the entire system not to post until that once stick was removed and hence the cooling unit replaced.

Im assuming your new gpu is the gigabyte RTX 2060 correct?

Jan 20, 2020
It is entirely possible that a different card can trigger the PEG being swapped. If you have a second PCI-E slot have you tried it in that one. Some motherboards just may not like certain GPU's.

Consider this a remote possibility, but how big and heavy are each respective GPU's? With how massive some of these have become, it is possible that your new card is either top heavy or too heavy in general and is creating a pressure on your PCI-E slot (basically bending in your board) causing it to not work properly. Some cases have real solid systems to screw a card in, but sometimes that may not be enough. I would almost suggest lay your pc on its side and try turning it on.
I've had RAM that had not enough room and cooling pipes pressed against one of the sticks causing the entire system not to post until that once stick was removed and hence the cooling unit replaced.

Im assuming your new gpu is the gigabyte RTX 2060 correct?
Hi again!
Thanks.
Yes i tried the 3 pci-e slots on the motherboard, no difference :/

The new GPu is a RTX 2060 correct, also tried a GTX 1660 super. The old GPU is a Titan Z (old, heavy SLI GPU).
Also tried having the pc laying down. xD
Basicly, tried most things. Guess the mobo have som issues. :(

But how can i swap the PEG with the new GPU if i cant even enter bios with the new GPU? :p Thanks for you patience!

Your old Nvidia card is Based on the 700 series that had UEFI/ and OR Legacy support.

Your Motherboard should have UEFI/ and OR Legacy support

Your new GTR 2060. Only has UEFI Support.

What is your settings in BIOS set at?

And fyi if your on Legacy and change to UEFI you current windows install most likely won't boot.

So keep in mind if this is your problem and solution you most likely will need to do a clean install of windows.

Reactions: realism51

realism51

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
Had to download the manual for your MOBO. From the main screen:

boot menu - > launch CSM
CMS options are ( auto, enabled, disabled). This tree has boot control device UEFI and legacy
also has boot from pci-e expansion devices, legacies only. config is legacy only or uefi first.

realism51

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
what are your settings when you go to advanced --> onboard device config --> PCI-E

Can you link us both cards that you purchased, maybe I can look at the specs and parts to see if there is a common difference. Off hand the only thing I can think of is that RTX uses a turing platform

update:

So that last part gave me a pause. Went and searched for known compatibility with the board you are using. I found a list of known components that work.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...port.pdf?_ga=1.69847440.1203299464.1463489415

It appears that your Titan is the last known GPU listed for compatibility. There are no RTX cards listed as compatible. even the 10 series are not listed which is weird considering the age of the GTX 10 series.

I think this is the issue, I went through and read many reviews and compatibility charts. I noticed a common denominator with reviews was people reporting that the board would not post and do the same things you are experiencing, AND nearly all these complaints show they have a newer video card GTx 10 series and higher, same with R9 300 and higher.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 20, 2020

update:

It appears that your Titan is the last known GPU listed for compatibility. There are no RTX cards listed as compatible. even the 10 series are not listed which is weird considering the age of the GTX 10 series.

I think this is the issue, I went through and read many reviews and compatibility charts. I noticed a common denominator with reviews was people reporting that the board would not post and do the same things you are experiencing, AND nearly all these complaints show they have a newer video card GTx 10 series and higher, same with R9 300 and higher.
Thanks alot for your reply!
So basicly, my mobo is not compatible with these newer GPU cards i tried (a RTX 2060 and a GTX 1660 super)?

realism51

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
4 or 5 year old board. Yeah it sounds like it just isnt able to work with the newer cards. Could send Asus off an email for confirmation, but this is what I seem to keep coming up with. Chipset can only do so much, pretty poor life if you ask me. I would expect a board to get more than 3 years of upgrades out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.