[SOLVED] New GPU, performs same as last one

Mar 20, 2022
I put an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT to replace my Geforce GTX 1660S Super and I'm getting a similar performance if not worse, I've uninstalled all Nvidia drivers and re- installed the AMD drivers, restarted my pc but no change. Here are my specs:

Ryzen 5 3600X 6 Core
Trident Z 3200 8GB (16 GB in total)
ASUS B450 prime plus

Anyone have other possible solutions?

Solution
I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers using Programs and features, it did bring up the Nvidia menu asking if I wanted to uninstall. I play at 1080 so would I need to upgrade to a new monitor? Would you suggest getting DDU and running it safe mode? If so I just need to know how to get it and then run it in safe mode
1. Here is a thread about utilizing DDU (How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers.) or you can just search on YouTube which will walk you through the process.

2. After using DDU and installing latest drivers, I would run the games in question than lower & higher your graphics settings within the game. If you don't really see any different in FPS, it points to the CPU being the bottleneck...
Mar 20, 2022
Not sure if it has an FPS limit, but Elden ring ran a bit below 60 on max settings which I ran it before on high settings with the same frame rate, I ran minecraft as well with similar results to my last gpu, getting as low as under 20 fps near a group of mobs

tecmo34

Administrator
Did you uninstall the Nvidia drivers by using DDU in safe mode? This is the best way to do it to ensure you remove all the previous drivers?

What resolution are you playing at? 1080p will be CPU limited, so you won't see much difference with the new GPU, as the CPU is doing most of the work.

Elden Ring is locked at 60 FPS as far as I know. Minecraft isn't locked but again I think it is more CPU bottlenecked at lower resolutions.

Mar 20, 2022
Did you uninstall the Nvidia drivers by using DDU in safe mode? This is the best way to do it to ensure you remove all the previous drivers?

What resolution are you playing at? 1080p will be CPU limited, so you won't see much difference with the new GPU, as the CPU is doing most of the work.

Elden Ring is locked at 60 FPS as far as I know. Minecraft isn't locked but again I think it is more CPU bottlenecked at lower resolutions.

I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers using Programs and features, it did bring up the Nvidia menu asking if I wanted to uninstall. I play at 1080 so would I need to upgrade to a new monitor? Would you suggest getting DDU and running it safe mode? If so I just need to know how to get it and then run it in safe mode

tecmo34

Administrator
1. Here is a thread about utilizing DDU (How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers.) or you can just search on YouTube which will walk you through the process.

2. After using DDU and installing latest drivers, I would run the games in question than lower & higher your graphics settings within the game. If you don't really see any different in FPS, it points to the CPU being the bottleneck. To resolve that, either upgrade to a 5000 series (5600X or higher) CPU (if your MOBO can support) to improve the CPU performance or upgrade your monitor to a 2K (1440p) monitor to put more on the GPU versus CPU.

RX 5700 XT vs GTX 1660 Super

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts