New GPU (possibly motherboard)

MoarGaming

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
So I'm looking to maybe get the new GTX 1080. But 1070 is a lot less for what it gives. Which is better for gaming/editing high quality videos (1440+) . And would I need to get a new motherboard to get full potential of the cards?
Current build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230099&cm_re=cyberpower_gaming-_-83-230-099-_-Product

8 GB is changed, i just upgraded to 16gb 2133mhz RAM Corrsair vengance ddr4.

If I do need to get a better motherboard, please recommend me a couple! Much thanks!

Solution
An easy way to find out what your rendering/editing programs are utilizing is by using a monitoring software. By using something like MSI Afterburner, you will be able to monitor GPU utilization, and if you are rendering and it is high, then a GPU upgrade would help. If the GPU is not being utilized at all, then it is not doing anything for that software and it's only the CPU. Of course a better GPU indeed would be better for gaming. Your CPU is already great for rendering high quality videos, your upgrade option would be expensive and include an X99 motherboard with a 6-core, 8-core, or 10-core Intel Broadwell-E CPU.

Colethelion321

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
get a new motherboard????? NO.
1. gpus dont help with video rendering unless they are on adobe primere.
2. motherboards dont make a difference.
3. 16 is great but 32gb of ram would help.
4.nice computer.
5. but for gaming 1070 would be all you need but a 1080 wouldnt hurt.

An easy way to find out what your rendering/editing programs are utilizing is by using a monitoring software. By using something like MSI Afterburner, you will be able to monitor GPU utilization, and if you are rendering and it is high, then a GPU upgrade would help. If the GPU is not being utilized at all, then it is not doing anything for that software and it's only the CPU. Of course a better GPU indeed would be better for gaming. Your CPU is already great for rendering high quality videos, your upgrade option would be expensive and include an X99 motherboard with a 6-core, 8-core, or 10-core Intel Broadwell-E CPU.

Solution

Colethelion321

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016

good idea