Question New GPU Power Surge in Games

May 9, 2022
Hi,
Bought a brand new GPU recently. When playing heavy games - the PC shut downs with surge being detected. In light games the pc doesn't shut down.

GPU - 3060
PSU - 750W (more than enough for 3060)
Mobo - Asus with anti-surge protection

Hi,
Bought a brand new GPU recently. When playing heavy games - the PC shut downs with surge being detected. In light games the pc doesn't shut down.

GPU - 3060
PSU - 750W (more than enough for 3060)
Mobo - Asus with anti-surge protection

Hi,

Can you provide a bit more info on your hardware?

What make and model is that 750W PSU? Also what motherboard model do you have and what CPU is it paired with?

Also, are you running your system at stock settings or are any parts overclocked?

May 9, 2022
Hi,

Can you provide a bit more info on your hardware?

What make and model is that 750W PSU? Also what motherboard model do you have and what CPU is it paired with?

Also, are you running your system at stock settings or are any parts overclocked?
I don't know the exact names. Is that relevant though? Does a brand name affect anything?

May 9, 2022
Yes and very much so.

Without the exact PSU, we are at a dead end in diagnosing your issue.
I opened the computer it says EVGA 750 G2. I have just had another power surge and really scared now about my new videocard. Is it going to be ok?
The bios said that it is a power supply surge, and that the psu is unstable. But why does it become this way only after heavy games are loaded?Maybe it has to do something with mobo screws making a contact with pc case and creating a surge when the fans start spinning too hard? Maybe the mobo isn't very stable-ly attached?

KyaraM

Admirable
I opened the computer it says EVGA 750 G2. I have just had another power surge and really scared now about my new videocard. Is it going to be ok?
The bios said that it is a power supply surge, and that the psu is unstable. But why does it become this way only after heavy games are loaded?Maybe it has to do something with mobo screws making a contact with pc case and creating a surge when the fans start spinning too hard? Maybe the mobo isn't very stable-ly attached?
The EVGA Supernova G2 is listed as an A-tier PSU according to the tierlist, so technically the model should not be an issue. However, it's always possible to grab a faulty one for some reason. Do you have another PSU you could use for testing reasons? What is your motherboard, manufacturer and exact model (eg MSI Pro Z690-A)? You can get that reading from tools like HWInfo, for example, or your Windows installation. HWIfo can give you loads of helpful system information, too, like temperatures of your CPU and GPU. Your CPU and exact model of your GPU would be helpful, too, though I doubt that they are overwhelming your PSU since it's a 3060 and they shouldn't draw that much power. It honestly sounds like you are unlucky and got a faulty PSU. Or the electric system in your house is old and badly implemented... but I would test the PSU first before investing money to check the electric system in your home.

Edit: Something else you can try, since you say that light gaming loads don't case the issue, is to underclock or undervolt your GPU. See if that helps.

May 9, 2022
The EVGA Supernova G2 is listed as an A-tier PSU according to the tierlist, so technically the model should not be an issue. However, it's always possible to grab a faulty one for some reason. Do you have another PSU you could use for testing reasons? What is your motherboard, manufacturer and exact model (eg MSI Pro Z690-A)? You can get that reading from tools like HWInfo, for example, or your Windows installation. HWIfo can give you loads of helpful system information, too, like temperatures of your CPU and GPU. Your CPU and exact model of your GPU would be helpful, too, though I doubt that they are overwhelming your PSU since it's a 3060 and they shouldn't draw that much power. It honestly sounds like you are unlucky and got a faulty PSU. Or the electric system in your house is old and badly implemented... but I would test the PSU first before investing money to check the electric system in your home.

Edit: Something else you can try, since you say that light gaming loads don't case the issue, is to underclock or undervolt your GPU. See if that helps.
Thanks a lot for your help, I am using my PSU for 3 years without any problem, can it still be faulty given the scenario?

May 9, 2022
Okay, it being in ise for three years is a valuable info. Yes, it definitely is possible that it is faulty. That can naturally happen over time. How long is the warranty period on that model?
Now when the videocard fans start spinning the monitor starts flickering. Is my videocard being damaged? Should I disconnect it? Or maybe it's just the gpu that came faulty? :(

May 9, 2022
Recently bought a new GPU and everything was OK for the first few days, however today during playing a heavy game my PC got a power surge, as Asus Mobo says. It keeps happening. Now when the gpu fans start spinning - the monitor is flickering.

GPU - 3060
PSU - Evga 750 G2
Mobo - Asus with surge protection