New gpu problems

at the gates

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Hi, was hoping i'd never have to ask this but here goes. Finished completing my first build a few days ago. Have win7 64bit, a 3570k at xmp settings, 16gb ram, corsair cx750 psu and the newest addition an asus gtx 770.

There's where the problem starts. i was playing contagion and for the first time ever my pc locked up and rebooted itself. I tried reinstalling drivers but when i would restart to start the process i got the "installing device driver software" thing in the taskbar where it was installing some driver for the 770. In the midst of a lot of failing restarts and very strange behaviour i got a blue screen where it told me that some hardware had an unrecoverable error. Scary stuff.

Didn't know if this was limited to one game so i tried max payne 3 for a while and it seemed fine. I managed to install the latest nvidia driver and things seem a lot better now but obviously something is wrong. This all happened since i put in the 770. Tried reseating it and checking the cabling, seems fine. I literally dont have a clue what's causing this and any help from what seems like a helpful community would be much appreciated. I have screens from gpuz here as well.

bgsih2.gif

er0qde.gif

First one was when my pc thought it was dying and the second one is after installing the newest driver and playing mp3 for around 30 mins.

blockhead78

Distinguished
one part of the problem might be the initial driver install problems you mentioned.

Might be worth doing a complete driver wipe and then installing the latest release drivers from nvidia with the custom option > clean install

also, seeing as the problem only started since fitting the new GPU, what PSU & mobo do you have?

G

If you took those screenshots while tabbed out of the game(s) the clocks would downscale.

As blockhead78 said, do a complete uninstall of your drivers and reinstall verifying their success.

at the gates

Reputable
May 15, 2014
@blockhead78 yep as far as i know i've got rid of other drivers. the only one i see in control panel is the one i've currently got installed and i i did a clean install of the driver through geforce experience as u mentioned . My psu is a corsair cx750 and the mobo is an asus p8z77 vlx2. I'm now noticing that my pc is taking longer to boot, maybe 2 mins longer. Also once it does it's slower getting going i.e opening browsers and the like.

@yarmock i did take those screens while out of the game. I did some log to file thing so i suppose it remembers what the max temps were. Don't really know tbh, should i take screens while tabbed out of the game or completely out back on the desktop?

Should i be worried about that blue screen situation a few hours back? somethings definitely still wrong, as i said it's noticeable with the slower startup and i also see the the loading circle next to the mouse cursor more often. Never used to see that before. it's doing something when it starts up for a while in the background. Hard drive also thrashes a lot for a while during and after startup.

I have to get to the bottom of this! Thanks for your suggestions folks, anyone else have any other ideas?

blockhead78

Distinguished
referring to this:
"I'm now noticing that my pc is taking longer to boot, maybe 2 mins longer. Also once it does it's slower getting going i.e opening browsers and the like."

Might be a long shot, but I recently had the exact same problem when I updated my latest Nvidia drivers. By any chance, do you have UlraUXthemepatcher installed, or another 3rd party theme patcher?

Like I said might be a long shot, but it turned out on my rig, having the theme patcher and nvidia drivers caused absolute havoc with boot times and slow startup for up to 5 mins of powering on, to the point at which I couldn't boot.

at the gates

Reputable
May 15, 2014
@blockhead78 Had a look mate and didn't find anything like that yet. Good shout though as i've heard of small things like that causing big problems in the past. I seem to be doing a lot better now after messing round with the drivers but the blue screen thing is still on my mind.

i was playing dayz last night and getting these judders/mini freezes quite often which i can only assume are cpu spikes. Hopefully they're not gpu spikes! It is an unoptimized mess and still in alpha but i still think this shouldn't be happening, especially when my mate down the road has an Athlon dual core and doesn't have this issue.

psu seems to be making more noise during this judders in gameplay as well. Could be bloody anything really. This is my first build and i come from a console background so it's the uncertainty with pc's that drives me mad really. Good to be thorough when rigs cost this much money though!

Edit: when i say judders i mean lag spikes. lol.

at the gates

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Yeh think it's just dayz really as i get the stuttering in the same areas. i think the towns are where it's really noticeable for everyone. I know it's an alpha but considering they've already got millions of sales they might never optimize it properly the tossers. arma 3 is free on steam now for a day or two. Gonna check it out to see if they've improved their engine.

Sonu Dutta

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
I really searched a lot, I asked my cousin brother who is the major asus and sapphire distributor over here, all he says that till now all the nvidia cards are good, the only cards he had to replace for the customers were the R7 260x,the R9 280x direct CUII TOP and the R9 280x toxic edition. Other that that everything is fine. But you never know...........Still assuming the fact that this particular card of yours is not RMAd a lot, I would say there may be some other problem. Do you have the latest Nvidia Drivers installed?Cause your PSU is good I guess or else you would be facing other problems. I really am worried about the bluescreen...... :(

at the gates

Reputable
May 15, 2014
@sonu dutta yes i have the latest drivers and haven't had any crashes or blue screens since. But i do notice there's a lot of stuttering. It's mainly in very badly optimized games like dayz and arma so i hope it's just because of those games. It seems to be a bit better now but it's so annoying because i still don't know what caused this. have to take it one day at a time with pc's. They're just so fickle. Thanks for going to all that trouble pal.