[SOLVED] New GPU, PSU Upgrade?

sunkenau

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hey everyone,

I am upgrading to a RTX 2080 and its recommended power supply is 650W but when I do the coolermaster PSU calculator it recommends 530W (or higher), what do I go by? Do I play it safe and go for a 800W? or do I just go for a 650W?

My specs are as follows...

CPU: i7 8700k
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F
Ram: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMW16GX4M2C3600C18
Cooler: Deepcool Captain 360EX
Fans: 7x Corsair 120LL
HDD: 2x SSD, 1x Sata and 1x M.2

Appreciate the help, PSU's are 1 thing I don't know if I should give myself plenty of headroom or not

Solution
The PSU calculator tends to play it safe and is ok as a rough guide, I like to input not just the hardware I'm building but every addtion or upgrade I might do in future to make sure the PSU has me covered.

650W should be penty, 800w is overkill. The quality is important too, a decent 650W PSU is better than a cheap 800W PSU and you shouldn't cheap out on the PSU.
A seasonic or one of the better EVGA or corsair 650W models are good options, or post your options here and see what people have to say. There's a tier list around somewhere I've seen others link showing relative quality of a lot of models.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
The PSU calculator tends to play it safe and is ok as a rough guide, I like to input not just the hardware I'm building but every addtion or upgrade I might do in future to make sure the PSU has me covered.

650W should be penty, 800w is overkill. The quality is important too, a decent 650W PSU is better than a cheap 800W PSU and you shouldn't cheap out on the PSU.
A seasonic or one of the better EVGA or corsair 650W models are good options, or post your options here and see what people have to say. There's a tier list around somewhere I've seen others link showing relative quality of a lot of models.

Solution

sunkenau

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Right now I have a Cougar GX 800 which is pretty darn old, might be worth an upgrade, pretty sure this thing might be outside warranty. Will post a few options I was looking at

- Corsair CX750M
- Thermaltake ToughPower 80+ Gold 750W
- eVGA SuperNova 650W 80+ Gold
- Corsair RM-650i 80+ Gold
- Thermaltake 750W BX1
- Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W 80+ Gold
- Cooler Master MasterWatt 650W
- SilverStone ST65F-GS 650W
- Corsair HX750
- Cougar GXS750
- Corsair RM750X-WH
- Thermaltake ToughPower DPS G

Basically whats available near me, price isn't too much, Modular is important as my case doesn't have much cable management