[SOLVED] New GPU Same FPS

Apr 22, 2020
Bought a new GPU today but am getting the same fps across the board as my old gpu

Old Graphics card: AMD 280x
New Graphics Card: AMD 580 red devil

Don't know a lot about computers at all so if someone could tell me how to supply all the details necessary for someone to help me that would be appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
I think that it would be at 100% if all the cores were utilized.
If the game isn't utilizing all the cores...I think you might see less than 100%.
This is correct. You need to look at usage on all cores. It only takes 1 to be close to 100% to limit FPS while total cpu usage is much lower.

As for upgrades there isn’t anything worth upgrading to without changing motherboard and RAM. Any FX cpu is going to have the same weak cores, going with an FX8xxx cpu won’t help if the games are not even using all 6 cores of your current cpu. Also some lower end motherboards don’t work well with 125w FX8xxx CPU’s even though they are supposed to support them so your motherboard may rule out this option as well.

I know budget can be a problem...
Bought a new GPU today but am getting the same fps across the board as my old gpu

Old Graphics card: AMD 280x
New Graphics Card: AMD 580 red devil

Don't know a lot about computers at all so if someone could tell me how to supply all the details necessary for someone to help me that would be appreciated.
Thanks
List your system specs.
but I think there's a good chance your CPU is too slow.

Apr 23, 2020
If you ever need to check your specs, I would recommend using speccy. Seems like you're probably being bottlenecked. What games have you tested it on? Some games are much more CPU intensive and changing your GPU won't make a huge difference if your CPU is the limiting factor.

Apr 22, 2020
Well.... I think the 280 went well with the FX....but the 580 seems to be a bit much for it....but I would have expected SOME improvement. You got zero improvement?
Literally, maybe 5fps, I mostly play r6 and my Cpu is at about 70% and my gpu at 50%.
I understand my cpu isn’t the beer but surely it would be at 100% if i needed to upgrade it?

Apr 22, 2020
It will depend on the game, resolution and game settings but a FX6300 is going to struggle in many games. If your games were cpu limited already upgrading the gpu won’t help improve FPS.
Can you recommend a good cpu that won’t bottleneck my gpu that isn’t going to cost me much

Apr 22, 2020
If you ever need to check your specs, I would recommend using speccy. Seems like you're probably being bottlenecked. What games have you tested it on? Some games are much more CPU intensive and changing your GPU won't make a huge difference if your CPU is the limiting factor.
Okay thank you

I think that it would be at 100% if all the cores were utilized.
If the game isn't utilizing all the cores...I think you might see less than 100%.
This is correct. You need to look at usage on all cores. It only takes 1 to be close to 100% to limit FPS while total cpu usage is much lower.

As for upgrades there isn’t anything worth upgrading to without changing motherboard and RAM. Any FX cpu is going to have the same weak cores, going with an FX8xxx cpu won’t help if the games are not even using all 6 cores of your current cpu. Also some lower end motherboards don’t work well with 125w FX8xxx CPU’s even though they are supposed to support them so your motherboard may rule out this option as well.

I know budget can be a problem but I cannot recommend any upgrade that’s going to definitely give you decent gains with moving to a modern platform which means changing cpu/motherboard/RAM.

Solution
Apr 23, 2020
Can you recommend a good cpu that won’t bottleneck my gpu that isn’t going to cost me much
Rainbow six siege in specific is a pretty single threaded game so it might help to disable multithreading on the cpu to get a little more single threaded performance out of your existing cpu. I don't know that much about fx8xxx cpu's so it might not help that much. Because R6 can only take advantage of up to 4 cores effectively 2 of your cores are working towards performance while the third is not. Try disabling multithreading to get a little more out of your cpu. If that makes it worse you can always switch back.

For any upgrade however no cpu in your generation of motherboard will have much better single threaded performance. So to upgrade you would have to buy a new cpu motherboard and ram which is going to cost at around 200$ for 8gb of ram(40), a cheap b-450(75), and a ryzen 5 1600 af(85).
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07XTQZJ28 (CPU)

TRENDING THREADS