New GPU - says standard vga adapter

Jul 26, 2018
Hey, so I bought a MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 6gb model and it arrived yesterday. I installed it into the motherboard, connected the 6+2 pin from my PSU to the GPU (funny in documentation says 6pin, but it's 8pin).
The MSI logo shows up, fans are spinning on startup, then when on desktop they stop (I read it's normal for 1060?).
The problem is - I can't install any drivers. I previously had an R9 270, so after installing the 1060 I uninstalled it's drivers, first thourgh amd cleanup utility, then tried DDU, but that was no good. In device manager it still keeps recognizing as Standard VGA adapter.

I tried installing manual drivers, geforce expierence and even MSI drivers from the CD - they all failed (except the utility ones from MSI).

I even tried changing primary display adapter in BIOS, switching between PCIE 1 slot till PCI slot.
Even though my motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics, which means my GPU is being displayed, but not recognised.

Could you help me find some solutions?

My Specs
CPU: AMD FX - 8320 FX (OC'ed to 4GHZ)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (Rev.4.0) (Bios version F2, there is a F3 version, but idk if that helps any)
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
RAM: 8GB
HHD
SSD
PSU: Corsair VS650
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Edit: I also tried plugging the GPU to PCIEX16_2 slot, but to no avail.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You're definitely connecting your display to the GPU directly? That would potentially explain the lack of compatible hardware.

As for the installation failing..... that's concerning. Suggests it found compatible hardware (or what it thought was compatible hardware).

Where did you acquire this GPU from? New/used?