[SOLVED] New GPU stressing the CPU or bottlenecking i7 2600?

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
Hi, guys,

I have moved on to laptops and have not had a desktop assembly for a decade. Recently I have acquired a GTX 1660 Strix 3 fans model. Post installation I am noticing a CPU temperature hike in Open Hardware Monitor. Before the card installation, at idle the temperature was 38-42 and not it is constantly at 44-46. I did a stress test and system not crossing 75 degree Celsius. So the cooler is keeping it under control. I did play RDR2 for some time (I am not a gamer) and I don’t think I have noticed any frame drops.
My question is, is this new GPU stressing the CPU or bottlenecking?

Specs:
I7 2600 Non K
Intel DH64CL MB
24GB DDR3 ram 8*3
Antec 550W PSU (I am planning to change that to Cooler Master)
Silverstone CPU cooler AR12 RGB
GIGABYTE C200 Glass ATX Gaming Case
Two extra cabinet fans
ASUS GeForce Strix GTX 1660 6GB

Previous card was a 1050TI. I don’t see any change in performance but heat hike is bothering me even though it is at a small margin. I don’t want to screw up this old system, I have no plans for desktop upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Most likely CPU temp increase is caused by hot air leaving your new GPU. The GPU cooler is built such way that most of the hot air that leaves it goes directly towards CPU cooler. Obviously 1660 is generating more heat then 1050ti thus the air around CPU cooler is now at higher temp then before.
Most likely CPU temp increase is caused by hot air leaving your new GPU. The GPU cooler is built such way that most of the hot air that leaves it goes directly towards CPU cooler. Obviously 1660 is generating more heat then 1050ti thus the air around CPU cooler is now at higher temp then before.

Reactions: aoc00
Solution

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020

Hey, DRagor, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it makes sense, because I did not notice any performance difference in normal tasks. Everything is same like before, but just that the temperature is on the higher side. Is it recommended to change the power supply or this one will do? I am using the card for the past two days and it works just fine, but if it's recommended, I can shift to Cooler Master or Corsair.

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
It is a 2020 August model, Antec VP550P Plus 550 Watt 80 Plus Non-Modular Gaming Power Supply. When the old PSU died, this was the only decent one available at the local PC guys shop :)

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
UPDATE: The experts thoughts were correct, CPU temp increase is caused by hot air leaving the new GPU. Today I noticed that the temp is just how it was before new GPU installation, hovering around 36-39 range, this was when they system was idle for sometime with all the applications closed. Also got to know that the GPU fans will activate only when the GPU temp hits 50 C. But, yeah, when I play games or use applications, GPU temp rises and all the hot air is pushed towards CPU cooler hence the hike in CPU temperature showed on Open Hardware Monitor.

Thanks