New GPU - will be my Power supply strong enough?

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Hello,

I recently decided to buy new monitor and at the same time I decided that I could upgrade my GPU as well. Right now I have Nvidia 750 TI (http://www.czc.cz/msi-n750ti-twin-frozr-iv-2gd5-oc-gaming/146865/produkt).

And I took a brief look and decided that I dont wanna throw a lot of money for new gpu, but some upgrade in a good price good be done. And picked two candidates. Nvidia 760 or amd r9 280. Both are at the similar price range here in my country.

Question is which one, because in paper i see that amd have better specs, but i never had a amd and I am little bit scared. Also do you think if its worth buying it or just wait some time and maybe then buy something new in higher price range.

Another problem is that. They say that recommended power supply is 600W. Right now I have 450W. Btw I have I-5 4460, GIGABYTE GA-H97-D3H - Intel H97. (http://www.czc.cz/gigabyte-ga-h97-d3h-intel-h97/152739/produkt).

Reason for my thinking about new GPU is the above mentioned new monitor and new game Dragon age I. I can play it right now, though I could use higher settings. But still, playing it on all high is enough and then playing only LoL so Maybe in the end I end up waiting for better prices or just bigger budget or pruchase SSD and clone HDD to SSD :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 760 is much lower power but i don't think your psu will run either card. if you have about 40 amps on the 12v rail of that psu, you would be safe running the gtx 760. but any less amps and you will need to upgrade the psu. what psu do you have exactly? if it is a quality 450w unit, you could run the 760. the 280 won't run no matter what as it is almost 100 w higher than the 760.

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Will look it up. But if its risky anyways I will probably end up buying 240 SSD and then in future do upgrade of both. Btw Would I need to change my motherboard?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no you're motherboard is good to go as is the cpu you have. you may wish to save some and go for a gpu/psu upgrade all at once. there are some real good gpu's out that are pretty low power. the gtx 970 uses only about 160 watts but offers great performance over the r9-280 with it's 250 watt power usage.

smoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
yeah I will surely do that, to be honest I have the needed money for both and even a little bit more better gpu. Though It feels as a waste to do that both now, hwen only games I play is DA:I and LoL ... Well maybe in future I will see a need to do that :)

But still one thing bothers me. Is SSD really that good? I dont mind waiting extra 10 second to boot thing up or something. My pc is up in 5 - 8 second though.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't use them myself. what i have read is what you are saying. faster boot time and load time for programs. i don't mind the wait of a few more seconds myself but i guess it would not hurt to shave a few seconds from your times if it means a lot to you. :)