[SOLVED] New GPU with old system

Daraeon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hi, I have pretty old pc system (i7 920 @ 3,7ghz, 10gb ram and gtx 670) and I want to upgrade. I cant rlly buy new cpu cos I would have to replace practically everything (mobo,ram etc) so Im thinking about replacing my GPU for something like gtx 1650 super or rx 5500xt. Does it make sense or is it not worth it? Thx.

Solution
I can't really agree with that. Obviously pairing newer GPUs with older CPUs will always have a negative impact, but there will still be positive gains with faster GPUs until you hit the very high end. Also depends on what you are running. A 4K screen and your CPU matters a lot less.

Now if you are going after high refresh, I agree.

Had my old i7-950 running at 3.67Ghz paired with a GTX970 for a while, ran most modern titles relatively well. That isn't too far behind these selections. I imagine it might struggle with some of the very latest games, but it is still a quad core with hyperthreading.

There is also the factor of how long the CPU and motherboard will be kept. If the plan is within a year or two, buying a slightly faster GPU...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It would work. Not super worth it in my opinion. It would be an improvement and get you some of the more recent architecture improvements, but I don't think it would blow you away.

If you can look at the RX5700 or a GTX1660Ti that would be closer to doubling performance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can't really agree with that. Obviously pairing newer GPUs with older CPUs will always have a negative impact, but there will still be positive gains with faster GPUs until you hit the very high end. Also depends on what you are running. A 4K screen and your CPU matters a lot less.

Now if you are going after high refresh, I agree.

Had my old i7-950 running at 3.67Ghz paired with a GTX970 for a while, ran most modern titles relatively well. That isn't too far behind these selections. I imagine it might struggle with some of the very latest games, but it is still a quad core with hyperthreading.

There is also the factor of how long the CPU and motherboard will be kept. If the plan is within a year or two, buying a slightly faster GPU now will save the trouble in buying another GPU when that upgrade happens.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can't really agree with that. Obviously pairing newer GPUs with older CPUs will always have a negative impact

I disagree - I think it's more accurate to say that you won't have as much of a positive impact as you would with the same GPU on a more modern system.

That aside, there is one other issue. What is the motherboard? Is it one you bought yourself, say from Gigabyte, MSI, etc? Or is it an OEM system such as a Dell or HP?

Older OEM systems sometimes have strange issues with newer video cards, and thus MIGHT not work.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Same difference. Just depends on what you assign to positive and negative. Yours is put better though. (Mine as in negative impact of the GPUs top performance, yours as a lesser positive)

Running a i7-920 at 3.7Ghz, so I'm going to assume a retail motherboard?

Reactions: King_V