New GPU wont give a signal - integrated graphics and everything else works fine

getyourpranaup

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
Please read before suggesting anything, I've already read a lot of threads and I'm actually looking for more of a discussion of the possibilities, since I have things downloading and I do not feel like messing with it. As the title says, my gpu does not show any signal to the monitor, but the integrated does. Here are the specs, all new parts, first time building btw.

ASRock z97m-itx/ac mobo
msi r9 280 gpu
cx500m psu
intel pentium g3258 cpu

I think that's all that's relevant in this situation. Before putting everything into the case, I did a test boot up to make sure everything was working. At that point, everything booted up fine to the ASRock bios, using the msi video card. Today I completed the build, but the video card will no longer give a signal, although the integrated graphics from the cpu will, and the rest of the computer works as it should as well. Also, the gpu seemed to be functioning (fans spinning etc), just no signal to the monitor.

The GPU was plugged in correct, I made sure the bios was using PCI-E for the primary VGA, I tried HDMI, DVI and vga plugs, and updated the GPU drivers, but still no signal. But, I did not have the cpu or mobo drivers installed, could that be why there is no signal? And I checked the GPU slot on the mobo and the GPU itself for damage and I don't see anything that doesn't like right.

Solution
It's hard to say w/o actually seeing the situation. That's why I suggested breadboarding. At least unplug everything from the MB except what I mentioned above. Unplug all the PSU connections to the drives, fans, etc. so the only thing the PSU is feeding is the MB. Try to get a display by the above technique.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Drivers don't come into play until Win loads.
But I would suspect the PSU as one possibility. The 38A/456W +12V rail is marginal for that card. Normally, it wouldn't be too much of an issue. But the CX line has been known for failures due to poor quality capacitors.
Have you considered that the card itself may have failed? Can you test it elsewhere? Or put a different gfx card in your MB?

getyourpranaup

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

Well as a first time builder I don't know what to think, I guess it's odd to me that the card worked fine outside of the case, on the mobo, but when installed into the case it doesn't have a signal. I'm working in a very, very small space and the GPU has been easily the most difficult to install. I actually had to force it into the mobo pretty hard, and move it around what I would consider kind of rough but have been told many times now that these parts sometimes require more pressure than I'd think. My first thought was that I damaged something, but I've looked at the gpu and gpu socket on the mobo and nothing looks damaged at all. But nah, I don't have any spare parts and I don't know anyone that does either, but I was thinking about taking it to a fry's or something to get looked at.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If it initially worked when you had the MB outside the case, why not try that again? Breadboard the system on an insulated surface with just CPU/cooler, RAM, PSU, gfx card, monitor connected. Momentarily jumper the power button pins to start. See if it gives a display. While the MB is out of the case check to be sure you didn't add an extra standoff that may be shorting out the back of the MB.
Also check that one of the IO plate tabs isn't sticking into one of the ports.

getyourpranaup

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

That's if all else fails lol. I spent too much time fitting everything in that tiny case to take it out now, using a CM elite 130 btw, but nah i only used 4 stand offs for sure, there's only 4 holes so can't mess up, i made sure to be precise with that as well.

getyourpranaup

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
]

it's so much smaller then I expected, I should have gotten an micro atx but it's whatever haha but Nah everyone has laptops around here, but a friend of mine a few hours away might be able to send me a spare gpu to try out.

The way I had to put in the gpu into the case was awkward because I had to wire the pci-e before installing it, and those would be pressing against the ceiling of the case, putting spare inches ontop of the gpu pretty much, and my hands arent small enough to install the gpu then wire the pci-e. But now that I don't need the optical drive I think I'm going to take as much of that out as I can from the case, install the gpu which should not be awkward with the extra space, and the cables should be easier to plug in. Think that would work? I'm kind of thinking the gpu was being pushed down by the pci-e cables that reached the ceiling, which actually was causing the gpu to have a slight slant.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It's hard to say w/o actually seeing the situation. That's why I suggested breadboarding. At least unplug everything from the MB except what I mentioned above. Unplug all the PSU connections to the drives, fans, etc. so the only thing the PSU is feeding is the MB. Try to get a display by the above technique.

Solution