New GPU won't POST

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Installed GTX 980ti,MOBO VGA LED LIGHT SOLID RED...reseated GPU,nopers. Tried another slot;same result. Fans and Lights are working on GPU,but won't post even to BIOS let alone Windows. Thought GPU was DOA,still have the card but also ordered replacement. So I have two 980ti ASUS/GIGABYTE reference models. Contacted support,they said to UPDATE my MOBO BIOS...it's an ASUS X79 SABERTOOTH LGA2011,CURRENTLY using BIOS the board shipped with version 0906

My GPU upgrade path since I built rig in 2011/12 is GTX560ti,GTX670,GTX TITAN,GTX 980ti The MOBO had no issues running all those previous cards using same MOBO BIOS,it just doesn't like the latest 980ti ;)

PS. The replacement GPU is FACTORY SEALED,and would prefer to keep it that way...or else I'll have to eat 15% or $120 RESTOCK FEE.

PPS, I have no experience updating MOBO BIOS,so I'll have to "hire" someone to do that...about $40,still cheaper than RESTOCK FEE though =)
Thanks for your time and efforts in assisting me.

Solution
Download the CAP Converter from https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/HelpDesk_Download/ under BIOS Utilities
Unzip, save it to an USB drive and use EZ Flash in BIOS (follow instructions). Then download the latest version and update again.
Download the CAP Converter from https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/HelpDesk_Download/ under BIOS Utilities
Unzip, save it to an USB drive and use EZ Flash in BIOS (follow instructions). Then download the latest version and update again.

Solution

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Thanks for quick response alexoiu =)

So this CAP Converter will update my BIOS from 0906 to 2104...

Then Download the latest BIOS,which do you recommend...

The BETA 4801 BIOS
or
The 4701 BIOS

PS. Do I need to RESTART my PC between BIOS UPDATES.
Say once run CAP Converter,BIOS now 2104 RESTART PC
Run EZ Flash again to UPDATE from 2104 to LATEST 4701
PROFIT

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

So I have the CAP Converter ROM File on my USB Flash Drive,does it matter if any other files are on the Flash Drive...

Say I want to also put the Latest BIOS 4701 onto the Flash Drive,can both coexist without problems during updating BIOS.

PS. Does the "name" of Flash drive matter,with it inserted under Windows 7 it says "Removeable Disk (G:)

"So I have the CAP Converter ROM File on my USB Flash Drive,does it matter if any other files are on the Flash Drive..."
I'd leave only the CAP Converter on the drive. Make sure that it is FAT32 formatted and connected to an USB 2.0 port. Wait for the process to complete.

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Follow up...

Yeah my BIOS is now 2104,which is "good enough" to recognize my 980ti =)

I was told,by my "Hireling" that since the Graphics Card is now detected; I shouldn't take the chance and risk fubar my system just to update to latest BIOS 4701...

If it ain't broke,don't "fix" it XD

Thanks alexoiu for the advice.

And if I get any stability issues,I'll just flash the BIOS to latest build.