Question New GPU won't work; PC won't go past boot screen and beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubaguy2020

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
I have an Acer M3970 desktop, not new by any means, but it has an i7-3770 in it and I've been gradually upgrading over the years. e.g. - 2x the ram, added and SSD drive. It performs pretty well for regular stuff and i'm all about preserving it as long as I can vs. buying new ones every few years.

For a GPU it has an older ADM HD 7470. I've actually even done video editing with it, but it's dated by any measure now and I thought a new GPU would nicely update my PC for a while. I grabbed an ASUS geforce GTX1050ti... not crazy but with the prices today, I grabbed it for a nice price and according to some sites I checked would prove to be a nice update over my old HD. I swapped it out... and the the computer won't come up. It starts to boot, shows the ACER flash on the screen like normal, but then just goes black. It will emit a single beep every 20s or so, and windows never comes up.

I've read a bunch of posts on this and other forums, but I don't find something exactly matching my description. Here's what I did...
- used a utility to verify my power usage beforehand. 148w... that's well under 300w, so I figured the 1050ti is pretty reasonable at 75w. that's only about 50w over the HD card, so I should only be around 225w. Not a strain by any means.

SInce I did an SSD upgrade i reinstalled the OS. Rather than use the 'recovery' disks, I downloaded a copy of WIN10 (i.e.- generic without all the acer crafty stuff atop). I installed that and I've verified it's already in UEFI. (i.e. - so when I installed WIN10 about a year ago when I did the SSD).
verified GPT also. checked and double checked the mounting onto the board in case I didn't insert it properly. When I take it out and reinsert the old card, all is fine.

Do I conclude the card is defective? or what am i missing? (p.s. - no other PC to try it in here)

logainofhades

Titan
Attempt a CMOS reset. With your system, you need to unplug the system, and drained of power, then remove the battery out of the motherboard, and let it sit for a minute or so. Pop the battery back in, plug in the system, and try booting again. It could also be some stupid limitation Acer put in the bios.

scubaguy2020

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
update on the gpu situation... so i returned the 1050ti. assumed my pc was too old / incompatibility. i thought the 710/730 wasn't enough upgrade to make it worth it. i bought a zotac gt 1030 (2Gb). i got a good deal and it was fair more performance than the old AMD hd.

tried it... same thing. doesn't get past the banner screen... and the periodic beeps.
this one was nice too because it's 25w (old one) vs. 30w (this one)... close enough that i think i could rule out power supply demand by the newer cards.

i'm at my frustrated end. can't believe a card a view years old with almost the same power draw didn't work.
magic answers?

anyone here have an acer m3970 that they actually upgraded the gpu in successfully ?? :(

If you're on Display Port, it can't hurt to run the NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays.
Release Highlights
To enable the latest DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 features, your graphics card may require a firmware update.

Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot.

The NVIDIA Firmware Updater will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it.

If you are currently experiencing a blank screen or hang on boot with a DP 1.3 or 1.4 monitor, please try one of the following workarounds in order to run the tool:
  • Boot using DVI or HDMI
  • Boot using a different monitor
  • Change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy; or Legacy to UEFI.
  • Boot using an alternate graphics source (secondary or integrated graphics card)
Once you have the tool downloaded, please run the tool and follow the on-screen instructions.

scubaguy2020

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
I'm using HDMI, not DP.

in UEFI - every post everywhere says use that.
can't really boot on a different card, only have 1 PCI slot in the board, therefore if i boot on a diff card, i can't update the Nvidia on the new card. to run the tool on the new card, i need it installed, but i can't see the screen. enigma.

scubaguy2020

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
Checked the bios... was P03-A1 and updated successfully to P03-A3. I believe the latest possible.

No go. Card still won't let windows come up.

Board is s1155 from acer m3970-eb15 model

scubaguy2020

Prominent
Jan 24, 2022
Describing the Bios beep code would help to find the exact cause,... and entering the BIOS to configure the 7470 , or also resetting the Bios may the system automatically recognize it.

single short beep, which denotes system coming up and ok...
but then every 20s or so another beep

gone into the bios.. played around couldn't find anything useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.