New Graphic Card for old PC ?

G

My old PII/350 with 128 MB RAM and a standard TNT2 graphic adapter is a little bit slow with later PC games. Unfortunately budget restrictions don´t allow a completely new PC :( . Is it worth while to upgrade only the graphics adapter ? I´m thinking about a GeForce2 GTS like the ASUS V7700 pure 32 MB. Whenever I´ll get enough money for a new machine, this adapter would be used in it...

Or should I wait until I finally can afford a new PC ??

G

>>My old PII/350 with 128 MB RAM and a standard TNT2 graphic adapter is a little bit slow with later PC games. Unfortunately budget restrictions don´t allow a completely new PC :( . Is it worth while to upgrade only the graphics adapter ? I´m thinking about a GeForce2 GTS like the ASUS V7700 pure 32 MB.

I have Dell PII-266 MHz, it had 64 MB at the beginning.
Originally video was Riva128, later - TNT as they started to sell it :).

So I upgraded it with GeForce2 GTS 32 MB DDR and it rocks!
As a matter of fact, it's ELSA.
BTW I upped RAM to 384 MB - I cannot put more in this hog :)

So in my opinion it's good for you to get GeForce2 GTS and get more RAM (www.crucial.com - it's cheap) and your box will serve you some more.

There is no need to buy new PC, though. Later on you can buy new mobo, new CPU and new RAM, that's it.

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
I would think that you're processor is the bottle neck in this case. I had a TNT2 in my AMD 800 and had very few problems running Q3 and even Unreal Tournament. If I were you I would consider upgrading your proc first. Additional memory might be a good idea too, considering it's so cheap right now.

Jason

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
I wouldn't. I have a k6-2 400 with a Geforce 256 SDR and the processor is what slows my system down. A TNT2 would about match my system, but the Geforce is nice. A Geforce 2 would just be overkill.

<b>P</b>eople for the
<b>E</b>ating of
<b>T</b>asty
<b>A</b>nimals

TRENDING THREADS