[SOLVED] New graphic card suggestion please

Oct 20, 2021
Hello,

I wanted some help with choosing a new graphic card for this PC. I have the link below and it is the HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1060 desktop. The current graphic card runs ok for platformer 2d and 3d games, but on low settings. I would like to replace the card with something better. I believe it is a pci card and I have been told that most cards will not support it because of power consumption. My hardware know how is limited that is why I am here.

Please let me know if there is a graphic card compatible that is better than what it came with. Ori plays well to my surprise but other games are slower and frame rate and special effects lack.

Thank you,

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02863023

Solution
A low-profile case limits you to low-profile GPUs and there aren't many decent options for that.

GPU prices being what they are now, your best choice might be to upgrade the system to a Ryzen 5600G. On Intel's side, the Xe IGP on 11th-gen i5 and up would also be a decent upgrade for the HD6450 or Sandy Bridge IGP if you prefer sticking with Intel. Check whether the HP uses a standard mATX motherboard form factor and PSU connectors. If it does, then you may be able to get away with a CPU+MoBo+RAM swap, though there is a high probability the old OEM PSU may not be able to cope with modern CPUs' fast transients.

InvalidError

Titan
A low-profile case limits you to low-profile GPUs and there aren't many decent options for that.

GPU prices being what they are now, your best choice might be to upgrade the system to a Ryzen 5600G. On Intel's side, the Xe IGP on 11th-gen i5 and up would also be a decent upgrade for the HD6450 or Sandy Bridge IGP if you prefer sticking with Intel. Check whether the HP uses a standard mATX motherboard form factor and PSU connectors. If it does, then you may be able to get away with a CPU+MoBo+RAM swap, though there is a high probability the old OEM PSU may not be able to cope with modern CPUs' fast transients.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Cleveland motherboard appears to be standard Micro ATX. 270W PSU.

I agree there aren't many options for reasonably priced upgrades at the moment, maybe a low-profile GT1030 (not the DDR4 version, make sure it is GDDR5), a few models going for just over $100. Everything else is going to be in the several hundred range.

Beyond that i5-11500 for Intel HD750 or Ryzen 5600G for Vega 7 graphics. Both mean new motherboard and ram. 11500 has been out of stock for a while, and the 11400 only has HD730, which isn't worth it.

5600G is $229, decent compatible motherboard will set you back about $90, and then memory 2x8GB about $60-70, so you would be looking at about $400.

That is assuming you can get that all crammed into an HP Slimline, safer to buy a case and power supply, then just one step away from storage and you have a complete system.

Oct 20, 2021
Thank you. I think time for a new computer then. The bios is very old and they are not providing new drivers. Luckily it works with win 10. Can you tell me why some games run perfectly smooth, like ori and others slow?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably the limited CPU performance mostly. How clean is the system? All the fans still working?

Ori is a side scrolling platformer, not super heavy on graphics or complexity. You are well above the minimum specifications of a core 2 duo.

Other types of games require a lot more computation, more video memory, or system memory. Newer games may need to be loading from disk a lot, and having a traditional hard drive might show stuttering, etc. An SSD might make a significant boost to some tasks (still working, if you are getting a replacement, no need to toss it, you can give it to someone or donate it to a charity)

Considering what you have now, most laptops with a substantial discrete GPU will be a big improvement. Any desktop with a discrete GPU above the GT1030 is worth looking at. But take a look at the system requirements for the games you might consider buying and how much you are willing to spend.

Oct 20, 2021
Just a quick question if this thread is live. The GT1030 requires min 300W. My systems

Internal 270W (100V-240V)
Total wattage: 270W
Input voltage:
  • 100-127V/3A (50-60Hz)
  • 200-240V/2A (50-60Hz)

logainofhades

Titan
If willing to build your own, you could do something like this, for a new rig. I gave it some upgrade headroom, PSU wise, as it wasn't priced much different than many quality units, of a lower wattage. This will be far superior, to what you have now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.00 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Crucial P5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Cougar MX330-G Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($81.06 @ Amazon)
Total: $684.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-21 10:52 EDT-0400