New Graphics Card also new power supply advice?

Mrs91

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I am looking at this ) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050TI (GV-N105TOC-4GL) or this graphics card (EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB SC 03G-P4-6162-KR)

Big price difference. Do you suggest a new power supply? Would I need to get different ones based on either decision?
these are what I was looking at :
EVGA 550 B3, 80+ BRONZE 550W, 220-B3-0550-V1
CX Series™ CX550M — 550 Watt 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified Modular ATX PSU

I am guessing by looking at general things I have found on my computer, its dated around 2011.

How do I know if this power supply will work with my existing set up?
I am mostly a novice but I am good at figuring things out with a little help.
The installs don't seem much of a problem but making sure these things work together, I am not so sure on.
I don't know how at all to find if I can make either of these work? Which may be better or do I even need a higher one?
Here are the only specs I know of:
Hpe-580t
Windows 10 home
Nvidia GeForce Gt460
Intel i7 950@3.07
9gb ram
power supply:460W Max

Here are more specs about the unit from HP, so I suppose its reliable ?
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02682449

I'm hoping to buy ASAP before "my weekend" so quick help would be appreciated.

Solution

I don't see any need spend more money on a new PSU for that prebuilt HP PC. This should be the 460W you have in it now. It has the necessary +12v rail capacity to handle either of those cards you mentioned, as well as having the required 6-pin PCIe cable for the GTX 1060 3GB or 6GB. Take that extra money and put it towwards the 5GB version of the GTX 1060.

Mrs91

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

finally got access to a pc that I could properly reply on

..... Sorry about the downvote... I can’t seem to find the reply button on any mobile device and accidentally hit the voting button

It’s a pre built hp

Power supply model Number is dps460db 3a if that helps at all

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I don't see any need spend more money on a new PSU for that prebuilt HP PC. This should be the 460W you have in it now. It has the necessary +12v rail capacity to handle either of those cards you mentioned, as well as having the required 6-pin PCIe cable for the GTX 1060 3GB or 6GB. Take that extra money and put it towwards the 5GB version of the GTX 1060.

Solution

Mrs91

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Ahh okay I was under the gun to get prime shipping for the weekend (so I can work on it on my days off), so I bought it anyway..I bought this : EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 3GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)
and this: EVGA 550 B3, 80+ BRONZE 550W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-B3-0550-V1

I guess I could return it all and get the 6GB GTX 1060... is there a huge difference between the 1060 3gb and 1060 6gb that I will notice? I also noticed based on the 1060 6gb it requires a minimum of 400W, would it be pushing it with my current 460W?

I'm just a little paranoid about keeping the old psu.. a few years ago I had some issues, that I have no idea what they were but the pc would shut off on its own, or run the fan really high on idle... but I haven't had this issue in a year or so, so I don't know the cause or if it could've been power related.

I'm also having RAM configurations issues, but that's on another post, so my expenses are just jumping pretty quickly.

Thanks again for your help!!

i would not buy a power supply and gpu. the new gpu with a new power supply may not post in your old hp. the newer gpu need efi bios and some older mb and new gpu all you get at post it the hp logo or a blank screen. as your pc is a few years old...i look into donating it for a tax write off and go with a newer pc.