Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
So I went and bought a graphics card today, the ASUS GTX 970 STRIX DIRECTCU2 OC 4GB. Went home to install it. I had uninstalled the drivers for my previous GPU which i read you should. But stupid me forgot to check dimensions so I quickly realized that the card was too big for my case. Luckily I still had my old computer which was an ATX case so I started it, uninstalled drivers and also did a system wipe since I only had like 9gb free disk space on it. Using DDU

Afterwards I installed the graphics card and also took over the 550watt psu from the first smaller pc since the one in the bigger was some shitty 480watt dell no standard psu. The card had an 8pin power conector whereas the PSU had a 6pin with a detachable 2pin connector together making 8pin. So plugged that in.

I then started it and the initial startup goes fine(just past the bios page) but then black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. Worth noticing is that when switching on the power the GPU fans initially start spinning but then after 3-5 seconds they both die off. Also worth noticing is that there was a small light indication directly on the GPU under the 6pin part of the 8pin power connector and I think there was a turned off light indication under the 2pin part but not sure since I've never seen it lit and perhaps it would be weird since 8pins connectors with a 2pin detachable connector isn't standard. But the GPU definitely had power to some degree at least.

Perhaps it was the hard drives fault so I took over the one from the smaller computer that hadn't been wiped.

Now I got as far as to the desktop actually and one of the two GPU fans were running.

But here comes the to me weird thing, the computer cant detect the GPU. Neither speccy or system properties can both list some integrated graphics as the only GPU.

Im thinking outdated bios version or simply outdated mothercard, the PSU is too weak to supply the card with enough power, the 6+2pin connection is not working for some reason or the GPU is defect but don't think so since the previous owner ran it fine on his rig recently.

Any thoughts would really appreciate it since I'm quite clueless at this point. Thank you so much!

Specs:
GPU: ASUS GTX 970 STRIX DIRECTCU2 OC 4GB,
CPU: intel i7 860 2.8GHz
PSU: Corsair VS550
Motherboard: Some old dell model as old as time
¨