[SOLVED] New graphics card causing power surges.

Jul 2, 2020
I recently bought a GTX 1660 Super Gaming X to replace my old graphics card, on arrival I realised I didn't have an 8-pin PCIe, but instead my old one had two 6-pin PCIe connectors. Installing it went fine, and It obviously left 2 extra connectors free into the PSU but I didn't think anything of this.

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus H97M-E Micro ATX LGA1150

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-3000 CL12

PSU: Corsair CX 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

GPU: MSI GAMING X (Geforce 1660 Super)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 3.2GHz

It's been 6 years since I last looked at what cables came in the box, but i'll check now, cheers!

If you have lost them unfortunately you can't simply just buy a new one. Cables are specific to manufacturer and model, so you will have to find a cable for your specific PSU or contact Coorsair and buy one from them directly.

Although given the age of yoru PSU it might just be better to buy a new one, Corsair still makes the budget Corsair CX and the modular CXm. I woudl recommend the 550 watt version of them but the 450 watt version should be fine for the 1660 Super.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020
If you have lost them unfortunately you can simply just buy a new one. Cables are specific to manufacturer and model, so you will have to find a cable for your specific PSU or contact Coorsair and buy one from them directly.

Although given the age of yoru PSU it might just be better to buy a new one, Corsair still makes the budget Corsair CX and the modular CXm. I woudl recommend the 550 watt version of them but the 450 watt version should be fine for the 1660 Super.
I found an 8-pin to a 6+2 pin cable and i'm still unfortunately getting shutdowns. my current corsair is 500W, is that not enough then?

I found an 8-pin to a 6+2 pin cable and i'm still unfortunately getting shutdowns. my current corsair is 500W, is that not enough then?

Should be plenty unless there is something wrong with your PSU or the graphics card is faulty.. Power supplies do have a life span and the Corsair CX like you have wasnt known to be a particularly good model. The new CX is a much better unit.

Jul 2, 2020
Should be plenty unless there is something wrong with your PSU or the graphics card is faulty.. Power supplies do have a life span and the Corsair CX like you have wasnt known to be a particularly good model. The new CX is a much better unit.
What would be the easiest way of determining which is the issue? If there is one.

kiriakos-gr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
www.ittsb.eu
What would be the easiest way of determining which is the issue? If there is one.

Yes this is the easiest if you are an electronics engineer with a quality multimeter of 500 Euro and one Oscilloscope not cheaper than 2100 Euros.

Now can you please explain to us what in earth is this power surges. in your post tittle ?
Is it high voltage sparks or thunders?

The 1660 Super this is a LOW Power card, it does not need a power station so this to play a game.

Jul 2, 2020
Yes this is the easiest if you are an electronics engineer with a quality multimeter of 500 Euro and one Oscilloscope not cheaper than 2100 Euros.

Now can you please explain to us what in earth is this power surges. in your post tittle ?
Is it high voltage sparks or thunders?

The 1660 Super this is a LOW Power card, it does not need a power station so this to play a game.
The computer shuts itself off, the boots itself back on, and a message appears saying that it shut itself down due to unstable power.

kiriakos-gr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
www.ittsb.eu
Well you may perform a visual inspection with open case, if the power supply DC fan this is spinning?
If it does spinning and there is still problems, then internal power supply parts they are now aged and must be replaced by an expert in case that this PSU worth more than 150 Euro as new.

Alternatively you may seek for a new this be not cheaper than 110 Euro, otherwise anything cheaper will survive no more than 18 months in to a Gaming PC.

Additionally try to replace first the power cable this connecting your PC to Mains.