New graphics card, continuous beep when running graphics intensive content

itibitibuil

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Recently updated my graphics card to the Geforce GTX 970: Everything boots smoothly but running games on high graphics settings invariably produces a loud continuous beep from the motherboard. Shutting the program down or using something less graphics intensive stops it.

The GPU fans also spin properly when something graphics intensive is running.

The PCI-E cables are these 6 pin and then 2 pin things, that then branch into another set of 6 pins and 2 pins, connected to the GPU using 8 and then 6 from the branch. I figure I should figure out if that's fine, when the other option is using two different sets of PCI-E cables.

itibitibuil

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
GPU goes from <54°C to 69°C
CPU goes from <30°C to 69.4C when it starts beeping
according to open hardware monitor.
would go higher when I turn on more settings and play on full 3840x2160, and start the beep immediately.

the beeping sounds pretty screamy and doesn't match what I just looked up as coil whine.

thanks though

Weird.... Do you have a motherboard speaker installed?
Does it sound like its coming from a speaker, or like, some kind of screech caused by a moving part or something?

itibitibuil

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
trick question. I found out that the problem isn't the motherboard speaker beeping, or the computer at all. Apparently plugging the system into the "backup" outlet of my UPS causes the long beep from the UPS.

I chuckled.

Might need to replace the battery in your UPS, would probably prevent the beep.