New graphics card help

LostintheAbyss

Reputable
May 20, 2015
I not too sure about the market so i figured id seek advice, but sorry if this sounds far fetched for the price i'm thinking about.

So i'm essentially looking for a card that can output 4 monitors using HDMI. The specs of the graphics themselves don't need to be best on the market but i would like them to be pretty good.

Another option i know nothing about which would be more expensive but might work is 2 graphics cards each with 2 ports. ( Got no clue if that would work if someone could explain that would be awesome)

I dont really have a budget as long as the value for money is good but i dont think i would spend over £300 for a GPU.

For reference this is the motherboard i will be using: http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-GD65-GAMING.html#hero-...

If you need any more information then il be happy to respond as fast as i can :)

Thanks

Solution

nb7760

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

What will you be using the card for? Because the thing is, you can't have a single sub 300 pound graphics card running four monitors at once while at the same time giving you decent settings and frames. It's just not possible. You'd probably need something like GTX 970 SLI. In addition, most graphics cards only have one HDMI port, let alone four. DisplayPort is just more common, and some cards (for example the GTX 980) have 3 DisplayPort outputs. You're going to have to buy DisplayPort to HDMI adapters anyways, so it doesn't matter how many HDMI ports a video card has.

LostintheAbyss

Reputable
May 20, 2015

Sorry, i'm not to knowledgeable on how they interact with multiple monitors and other such things. I would generally be using them for gaming i'm not looking to play the latest games on the highest resolution but id like it so that i don't have to replace it for a while. More future proofing that anything. In term of ports i'm fine with the whole adapter thing just want to know what people best recommend, as long as it can support 4 monitors that's fine, i'm not to worried about converting :)

Thanks for replying so fast

1. so, 3x 4k monitors for games like Witcher 3 or GTA 5?
There is no single GPU which can do that with enjoyable settings and fps.
Sorry.
Not even Titan X.
Even for non-demanding games, Titan X could have problems with such resolution.

2. you can mount max 3 monitors with 1 GPU. for 4 monitors, I think you will need 2 GPUs. (Anyone please be free to correct me if I am wrong).

nb7760

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Lol yeah if you can find the Titan Z being sold for 300 quid do tell me please I'll get my wallet ready.

1. so, 3x 4k monitors for games like Witcher 3 or GTA 5?
There is no single GPU which can do that with enjoyable settings and fps.
Sorry.
Not even Titan X.
Even for non-demanding games, Titan X could have problems with such resolution.

2. you can mount max 3 monitors with 1 GPU. for 4 monitors, I think you will need 2 GPUs. (Anyone please be free to correct me if I am wrong).
I do believe it is possible to have 4 monitors with a single card. I've seen some examples on the interwebs.

LostintheAbyss, I believe you should take a look at the GTX 980 or GTX 960 SLI. They should be able to run 4 1080p monitors at medium settings with decent frames. If you have the budget, GTX 970 SLI is another alternative. In terms of future proofing, GTX 970 SLI is just about enough to run modern games at medium-high with 30+ fps. 960 SLI or single 980 will have a harder time. I'm not too sure about the exact abilities of each of these setups, so you'll have to do some research on your own. If you really want to be "future-proofed", then back down on the number of monitors.

LostintheAbyss

Reputable
May 20, 2015

Thanks this is rather insightful, do you have any recommendations for a 2 card setup, (don't go by the budget for that one).

Just sucks that i have "champagne taste with beer money" :p

nb7760

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Don't we all? But anyways, you should get the best setup that you are able to afford, and try to go with good "bang for the buck" cards like the GTX 970. It is very important that you do a lot of research before making any purchases. Too often I go the cheaper route and regret it later because I didn't do my homework.

Solution