[SOLVED] New graphics card is louder than expected

ZHodges10

Reputable
Mar 23, 2016
Hello, I recently purchased an NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 Super, which has replaced my now-old EVGA GTX 1050 TI SC. With this being my first real "high end" graphics card, I am uncertain of how loud they typically run, but compared to my 1050 TI, it is much louder. Even when just watching youtube the fans are noticeably audible. I have checked afterburner and I see the fans are locked at a constant 41%, without being able to go lower than that. I have read that 3rd party cards tend to be quieter than the OEM ones because they put quieter fans, is this true?Even when running games like fortnite or overwatch (at the same settings as old gpu) the fans seem to go into overdrive. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Solution
The "Founders Edition" card from Nvidia normally run hotter and a little louder than AIB partners cards. It's worth the extra $10 to 30 for an AIB card
You should be able to unlock the fan control in afterburner and change the fan curve.

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
The "Founders Edition" card from Nvidia normally run hotter and a little louder than AIB partners cards. It's worth the extra $10 to 30 for an AIB card
You should be able to unlock the fan control in afterburner and change the fan curve.

Solution

ZHodges10

Reputable
Mar 23, 2016
Do you think it would be worth the hassle of returning it to get an AIB card instead?