[SOLVED] New Graphics Card on a old Motherboard will it cause problems ?

Fizy45

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014
For 6-7 years I used my pc and got enough performance in games but when streaming AAA games (I am a youtuber and a stremer) I am having massive problems therefore I must do something about it. So I have decided to upgrade my system with new shiny parts.

Sadly PC hardware prices in my coutry is really high so I cannot buy it all once. Therefore I first decided to buy a Graphics Card and use it on my old pc for 3-5 months later I will buy the new mainboard/ram/cpu and create a new system with my existing /ssd/lquid cooling/case/powersupply with it.

As I mention above first I am gonna be buying the graphics card and wait for couple of months to buy the rest. I dont want that card wait on a shelf so I want to use it on my old Mainboard which is MSI - 7823 Military Series. I resarched the internet and saw that there is backward comptability with cards to some extend but this is a DX11 mainboard so can you plese comment on this idea, will it work, any bottlenecks due to board or cpu (my rig has i7 4770k) maybe board slot problems etc if you help me on this I will be really glad the inforamtion about my mainboard from its offical website is down below.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B85M-G43/Specification

Note: Graphic Card I consider buying is GTX 1080/2070 or maybe 2080. About the Power Supply well I have a really strong one which I bought/upgraded like 3 years ago and its supporting my GTX 780/i7 4770k system no problems...

My Current System: İ7 4770k,GTX 780,3xSSD,Lquid Cooling, MSI - 7823 (motherboard), 12 GB Ram ( I had 16 but for now I am using 12)

Solution
For 6-7 years I used my pc and got enough performance in games but when streaming AAA games (I am a youtuber and a stremer) I am having massive problems therefore I must do something about it. So I have decided to upgrade my system with new shiny parts.

Sadly PC hardware prices in my coutry is really high so I cannot buy it all once. Therefore I first decided to buy a Graphics Card and use it on my old pc for 3-5 months later I will buy the new mainboard/ram/cpu and create a new system with my existing /ssd/lquid cooling/case/powersupply with it.

As I mention above first I am gonna be buying the graphics card and wait for couple of months to buy the rest. I dont want that card wait on a shelf so I want to use it on my old...

As I mention above first I am gonna be buying the graphics card and wait for couple of months to buy the rest. I dont want that card wait on a shelf so I want to use it on my old Mainboard which is MSI - 7823 Military Series. I resarched the internet and saw that there is backward comptability with cards to some extend but this is a DX11 mainboard so can you plese comment on this idea, will it work, any bottlenecks due to board or cpu (my rig has i7 4770k) maybe board slot problems etc if you help me on this I will be really glad the inforamtion about my mainboard from its offical website is down below.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B85M-G43/Specification

Note: Graphic Card I consider buying is GTX 1080/2070 or maybe 2080. About the Power Supply well I have a really strong one which I bought/upgraded like 3 years ago and its supporting my GTX 780/i7 4770k system no problems...

My Current System: İ7 4770k,GTX 780,3xSSD,Lquid Cooling, MSI - 7823 (motherboard), 12 GB Ram ( I had 16 but for now I am using 12)

You should be fine to use any graphics card on a machine of that age. There can be some problems with much older motherboards, but we are talking back to Core 2 / Phenom days before you might run into trouble.

Reactions: Fizy45
Solution

Fizy45

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2014
So you guys say that there wont be problems thats cool. DX11 designation on the Motherboard card bothers me though new cards work with DX12 so will my card work in D12 too or stay in DX12 until I put into a new motherboard...