New Graphics card or add more memory?

ktmazter

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I only play starcraft2 and Counter strike_ source from time to time....but I was wondering whether I should get a new graphics card..or just add more memory to help it run more efficient and smoother. The graphics card is an EVGA 8800gts from about 3 years ago. 2gb ram G skill. Thanks in advance.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
The 8800 GTS is a very dated card and 2 GB RAM is also rather limited for today's games. Games generally demand more from the GPU than anything else, so upgrading that would be higher priority. However, before you go any further, knowing what PSU (and other system specs) you have will help us guide you in the right direction for what you'll need.

mphhot2

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
adding more ram or faster ram won't help you a lot. maybe 1 or 2 frames more.
but ram upgrades are only about 50$

adding graphics card= 20-30 frames more
but it's about 200-300$

i won't upgrade RAM at all, if you pick to upgrade ram. It's not gonna be that much different. At least wait till DDR4.
Another tip, if your on a budget, got for AMD
If you want high end, go to Nvidia

ktmazter

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
its funny guys..soon after this thread..my brother actually bought me an early christmas gift....nvidia GeForce GTX550ti..1024mb GDDR5..he also knows of my woes when it comes to having outdated specs....im running an intel dual core E6750 conroe..2.66ghz..(thinking of overclocking to 3.2)....2gb RAm G-skill. DDR2...BloodIron motherboard...WD raptor sata drive....i'm thankful for all the input.guys....used toms' hardware forum years ago when i built my computer..

DM186

Splendid

For a freebie you will have fun with it but not the best card I know I have two of them. They have their limits but you will be able to play some of the today games.

ktmazter

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007

yeh, i looked it up. not the best card out there...but considering i only really play SC2 and CS_source..i figured it'll do the trick....better than my 8800gts..lol

DM186

Splendid

That is for sure. I just wish I had done more reserch before I bought mine. Anyway good luck