[SOLVED] New graphics card or wait to upgrade PC - for VR

Apr 18, 2022
Hi all.

I have a Gigabyte z90ud motherboard with a 1660ti card, 16gb 3200 ram and i9700k processor and Corsair 750 PSU. I recently bought a Quest 2 and am loving it so far - most games play OK at low settings (I play Elite Dangerous in VR a lot now but at low quality). However, I was wondering if my PC could handle the 1660ti being upgraded to, say, an rtx 20980 or even an rtx3080 so I can play MSFS? My monitor can only do WQHD (2560x1440) but it will mainly be for playing VR via the Quest and link cable and maybe the next gen headsets.
Am asking because I can't afford to upgrade the PC yet but could squeeze to upgrading the graphics card if it'll be worth it.

Many thanks!

Solution
Nothing wrong with upgrading a GPU.
It can be carried forward to a new processor.
But first, see if you can determine if your 9700K is a limiting factor.

Try a test by lowering you graphics options and resolution.
That lets your current graphics card loaf. If performance improves, it is an indication that a gpu upgrade will do some good.
If performance is unchanged, it indicates a cpu limitation.
You should be able to overclock a 9700K by perhaps 20%
Try that if you have not already done so.
If that helps much, a processor change may be your better first step.
If already overclocked, see what happens if you remove the oc.
If you see little difference, that suggests more of a gpu limitation.

Also, the gpu market is finally...

sebiTCR

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
github.com
Judging by the specs you have, you won't really have a bottleneck issue if you would upgrade your GPU. I don't see the point of upgrading your whole PC for a RTX, so it's fine to just buy a new GPU.

Apr 18, 2022
Judging by the specs you have, you won't really have a bottleneck issue if you would upgrade your GPU. I don't see the point of upgrading your whole PC for a RTX, so it's fine to just buy a new GPU.
Many thanks. Was worried in case I was wasting my money putting it in an older MB.

Nothing wrong with upgrading a GPU.
It can be carried forward to a new processor.
But first, see if you can determine if your 9700K is a limiting factor.

Try a test by lowering you graphics options and resolution.
That lets your current graphics card loaf. If performance improves, it is an indication that a gpu upgrade will do some good.
If performance is unchanged, it indicates a cpu limitation.
You should be able to overclock a 9700K by perhaps 20%
Try that if you have not already done so.
If that helps much, a processor change may be your better first step.
If already overclocked, see what happens if you remove the oc.
If you see little difference, that suggests more of a gpu limitation.

Also, the gpu market is finally stabilizing. The Intel discrete graphics card launch in a couple of months may accelerate that change. It could pay to wait.

Solution