Question New Graphics Card Recommendation for Haswell Desktop?

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I think my R9 290 2GB is kaput, the fans are still going, but I tried a different cable, it still won't work, I hooked up the monitor direct to the integrated graphics and it's fine.

I have an i5-4690K with a EVGA 850W +80 Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU.

My monitor is a Dell U2412M, it doesn't have a display port, so I can't use the latest cards. Also, I can't afford the latest cards, I don't want to spend more than $200.

I have some games, but I do not play often on the PC (I'm a console gamer, sorry) so that's not a primary concern, but I can tell the difference between integrated graphics and discrete.

I was thinking of getting the XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Core Edition.

Last edited:

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Alright so you could get either this (RX580) or this (RX570) I'd personally compare the two by watching some benchmarking videos see how big the difference between the two are and then decide which you want

It turns out the 290 was not kaput, I don't know what the problem was, but now I am revisiting the question, and am wondering if I should stick with the RX580 (and I prefer the MSI Gaming X styling but it's a lot more expensive than the XFX GTX XXX edition you have) or should I go towards the 1660 series - normal, Ti, or Super? Some people are even saying the 1060 is still a good option.

I have an eye towards getting a 1440p monitor sometime maybe next year, so there is that to factor in.
I see the article "now is a terrible time to buy a graphics cards" but I'm usually buying a few generations behind anyway.