New graphics card, same fps

Benjameanos

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
So i just bought a evga gtx 1060 3gb upgraded from my gtx 660.. Trying to play ark survival and it seems to have the same framerate, maybe a bit better... But i thought it would be way better... The hard drive i have it installed on is almost 10 years old, my drivers are up to date and the only thing i can think of is the fact its on the old hdd, can this effect the framerate? Specs... Asus 990 fx mobo.. 16gb gskill ddr3.. Amd 6 core processor.. Win 10... Thank you

Ambular

Respectable
Mar 25, 2016

A really old mechanical hard drive could definitely be slowing you down (and really ought to be replaced anyway...ten years is ancient for a hard drive, and they don't last forever.)

Which AMD six-core processor you've got might possibly be relevant, too. There are quite a few of them that are compatible with that motherboard, and they're not all created equal.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

ark survival is a very cpu bound game, which is why you have not made any gains fps wise

your cpu is the main fps factor in that game

Benjameanos

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

AMD FX-6100

I removed my old gtx660 drivers and it seemed to run much smoother, maybe that was what it was, also i turned off vsync and motion blur and i get 25-35 fps with all the settings to max