[SOLVED] New Graphics Card Selection - Poor Reliability?

steve489

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2015
I'm looking for a new graphics card to give a better frame rate at 2560x1440 pixels than my current Sapphire AMD R9 280X card.

The choice is probably between a GeForce RTX 2060 Super, GeForce RTX 2070 and Radeon RX 5700 XT. The GeForce RTX 2070 Super is too expensive. When buying new components I always look at the user feedback on Amazon for poor reviews (1 and 2 star reviews). I've surveyed many cards and was surprised to find very poor ratings for most of them - issues were premature failure, over heating and display artefacts. I only found the following cards having a reasonable user feedback rating:

GeForce RTX 2070
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 (08G-P4-2277-KR) - but too expensive at over £550

GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Zotac GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER AMP
Zotac GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER AMP Extreme
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC GAMING
MSI GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER VENTUS OC

Radeon RX 5700 XT
No reliable cards in survey

Please advise:

1. Which graphics card manufacturers offering cards based on the above GPUs stand out as being more reliable?
  2. NVidia supply graphics cards direct using their reference design. Are the graphics cards supplied direct from NVidia noted for good reliability?
  3. The GeForce cards have ray tracing. Is this a feature really worth having looking ahead say 5 years?

Solution
2. Nvidia supply the GPU, not the cards. The PCB design of the board partners, eg. MSI, can vary from the reference design.

3. Anybody's guess. More practically it may depend what sort of games. FPS with ray tracing seems a bit odd given current experiences; good for screenshots rather than gameplay.
2. Nvidia supply the GPU, not the cards. The PCB design of the board partners, eg. MSI, can vary from the reference design.

3. Anybody's guess. More practically it may depend what sort of games. FPS with ray tracing seems a bit odd given current experiences; good for screenshots rather than gameplay.

Solution