Question New graphics card suggestion??

PC Orangutan 844

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
Hello, i currently own a gigabyte 3070TI that i am very pleased with but i don't mind sometimes keeping up with newer computer tech.

My friend just recently decided he wanted an affordable PC and due to his lack of knowledge, i offered him help in choosing parts and building it. This got me thinking as i knew the graphics card would probably be the most expensive single component of tech i would have to buy. I started looking at prices on ebay and such and was surprised that Nvidia's 4000 series cards didn't seem as astronomically high as they have been as of the last few years.

This got me thinking of maybe getting a GPU upgrade even though it is not necessary. But i thought maybe i could have my friend buy my 3070TI off of me for a discounted price than everywhere else and use the money to get myself a newer GPU. I have been out of the PC Market as of lately so I'm not incredibly knowledgable about all the cards and their performance. Is AMD a possibly better way to go instead??

Im hoping someone can recommend what a good replacement would be given that i have a 3070TI and obviously only want to upgrade if its worth the money. Should i wait? Go AMD? Go with a 4070? I'm also don't have a problem with going used so i can get a better card at a cheaper price to make it more worth it.

Thank you, Massimo

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is a rare situation anymore where I would sell my own personally used equipment to a friend. I have given some stuff to friends. This typically leads into your being friends tech support and possibly their warranty department. If a friend comes to me with a build request of used stuff I try to source anything that can fail from other people's sales.

As to the 'worth' of an upgrade that depends on what expectations you have of the hardware, what it is being matched with, and how much you are willing to spend. My personal recommend would be to go to a retailer you trust to get an idea of pricing and when you see things that interest you go to a search engine with RTX 3070ti vs XXXX.

PC Orangutan 844

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
It is a rare situation anymore where I would sell my own personally used equipment to a friend. I have given some stuff to friends. This typically leads into your being friends tech support and possibly their warranty department. If a friend comes to me with a build request of used stuff I try to source anything that can fail from other people's sales.

As to the 'worth' of an upgrade that depends on what expectations you have of the hardware, what it is being matched with, and how much you are willing to spend. My personal recommend would be to go to a retailer you trust to get an idea of pricing and when you see things that interest you go to a search engine with RTX 3070ti vs XXXX.

Well, the only thing he would be getting used is my graphics card, he is alright with that. Im also fine with it because i know its in great condition so i have no worry that something bad will happen.

My expectation is i just get a better quality card that will make my computer better. It will be paired with a 7700x, 32gb 6000 ram, and a x670E board.

I was thinking maybe a 4070 as it wouldn't cost a lot?