[SOLVED] New Graphics Card that has external power (like 6 pin connector) needed

Nov 6, 2018
I have bought 2 different graphics card to try to soup up my old Dell Optiplex 990 but I got just plug and play cards without any connection to the power supply and as it turns out, my motherboard cant supply enough power to the cards to get them to work, so I need a graphics card under $150, single fan, and one that has an external power connector directly to the power supply and preferably something in the GTX 900s or above. If you know of any cards that fit this list I'd appreciate a link or the name of them. Thanks.

Solution
Another issue not already mentioned is, graphic cards that need a 6 pin power supply still draw some power from the slot too. In theory, a PCIe slot can supply up to 75w, but some prebuilt computer use cheap motherboards that only supply 30w, but the graphic card manufactures build their cards for the 75w limit....a couple of years back when the RX 480 was released some were drawing way over this.

My suggestion would be to use a card that only needs 30w, the GT 1030 comes to mind.
There's potentially two issues, both related to the power supply in your PC. First, does the power supply have an 6/8 pin cable that would go to the GPU? I'm guessing it probably doesn't have this cable. This is what's needed to power a GPU. GPU's does not come with this cable (per your request). It's a function of the power supply. Second, the power supply probably is under 300W. It's just not capable of supporting a GPU.

Replacing these old power supplies can be tricky. Dell had a habit of using non-standard sizes and non-standard power connectors to the motherboard. You may want to get some help at a computer shop. A technician should be able to look at your PC and tell you if the power supply can be easily replaced.

Another issue not already mentioned is, graphic cards that need a 6 pin power supply still draw some power from the slot too. In theory, a PCIe slot can supply up to 75w, but some prebuilt computer use cheap motherboards that only supply 30w, but the graphic card manufactures build their cards for the 75w limit....a couple of years back when the RX 480 was released some were drawing way over this.

My suggestion would be to use a card that only needs 30w, the GT 1030 comes to mind.

Solution
Nov 6, 2018

I replaced my PSU for a 500 watt and it runs beautifully, The problem is that my gpu's need to plug in directly to my power supply, like the gtx 960 2gb superclocked. that is a card that would work because it plugs in and is not powered through the mother board, the problem is that that card is over $250 and I cant find it for less, so im asking if you know of any cards like it or maybe even if there is somewhere I can buy that one for less than $150

Have your tried a GTX 960 in you computer?

As I already told you, all graphic cards get some of their power from the motherboard, so having a 6 pin power connector doesn't change that.