Question New graphics card to old computer

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me with upgrading my graphics card on my desktop computer. The graphics card I have currently is a Asus Radeon R9 290 OC 4GB. The reason I consider getting a new graphics card, is that one of the fans on the old card has started making a lot of noise. Would it be possible for me to repair the old card?

Anyways, here is the hardware for my desktop:
desktop-computer.png

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which graphics card I should/could replace the old card with?

All help is appreciated. Cheers.

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks for your reply Judicious. Sorry for being away, normal life duties..

Thanks for the tips about arctic, I will look into that. Maybe I have a friend who can help me with the dismantling and assembling.

Thanks about the tip about graphics card. Will my power supply be able to run the rx580?

The 280 is a good card
If you want to replace the card and have the cash the 580 is great and draws less power

The cooling replacement seems a good idea if you want to save some money as well
Although it doesn't mention the 280, it must fit as it's all generic with the 290.
AMD Radeon :
R9 290(X), 270(X), R7 265

I would use the opportunity and upgrade to a newer card that your PC can easily handle. On price performance the RX580 is a good deal and for little more the new GTX1660 is another interesting card. I would hesitate to spend money on a cooler for card that is from the past.

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
the PSU should be fine the rx 580 consumes less than the card you have now.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Q1hHcVjMg

fan swap video on a 290. watching it will familiarize you with what lay down the repair road.
Seems you are looking at a different 290 card than what I have, which I believe is because I didn't give you enough info on it. The card is actually called "ASUS R9 290X DirectCU II OC 4 GB". Sorry for the misinformation. I don't know if that makes a big difference in regards to power consumption, but I think the replacement process of fan would be different than what the youtube link shows.

This is how my card looks:
pressshot.jpg

The 280 is a good card
If you want to replace the card and have the cash the 580 is great and draws less power

The cooling replacement seems a good idea if you want to save some money as well
Although it doesn't mention the 280, it must fit as it's all generic with the 290.
AMD Radeon :
R9 290(X), 270(X), R7 265

Hello ElectrO_90. Thanks for joining in.

You mention 280. Which card of this series are you thinking of? I thought the 280 series were older than the 290 series.

buzz_buzz

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
I'm just saying they dont specfically mention the 280, but the 290 is just an OC'd 280 in reality, so this cooler should fit with no problem.
Ah :)

I would use the opportunity and upgrade to a newer card that your PC can easily handle. On price performance the RX580 is a good deal and for little more the new GTX1660 is another interesting card. I would hesitate to spend money on a cooler for card that is from the past.
Yes, I've been thinking this a bit too. I am leaning towards buying one of the RX580 cards. Is there one card that's especially recommended (producer/version)?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can try to find a 290 of the same model - or possibly other Asus models that used the same cooler - sometimes you can find them cheap and do the cooler swap. Not sure how easy it will be to find one that's cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

The R9 290 is in the same performance category as the RX 570 and RX 580, both of which are pretty available for surprisingly low prices (though sales come and go). Here's a current list, in the US, sorted from lowest to highest price, of RX570 and RX580 cards, both 4GB and 8GB variants of each.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392,391&sort=price&page=1

However, your monitor, while not having any adaptive sync, does support up to 144Hz refresh. If you're interested in getting more performance in terms of higher frames per second in games, and have more of a budget, then it's worth considering the GTX 1660Ti, GTX 1070, or RTX 2060.

I'd think the GTX 1660Ti is the best value among those three, though the RTX 2060 will outperform it. Here they are, again US, sorted by price.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369,438,436&sort=price