[SOLVED] New Graphics Card vs New System

Aug 9, 2019
Can I get by spending $350 to $400 on a graphics card (for example a GeForce RTX 2060) or do I need a new system?

I want to have "great" graphics in games at 2k since that is the maximum my monitor (144 MHz refresh rate). I want the option of VR in the future. I currently have a:
GeForce GTX 760
Intel Core i7-4820K which has four channel memory
32 gb RAM
PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots on the motherboard
A fairly new 512gb SSD main.

I do not want my cpu to be a choke point.

I can spend a total of $1000 but the idea of migrating to a new computer is a much bigger turn off than spending the money. I have been building computers since 1989 and my hate of migrating has grown exponentially. With a new system, I assume anything but a fresh install is still a totally bad idea.

Thank you for all your answers.

P.S. Sorry if this sounds familiar to a post in another section. That seemed to have disappeared, I posted this, and then that post reappeared.

Last edited:
Solution
Can I get by spending $350 to $400 on a graphics card (for example a GeForce RTX 2060) or do I need a new system?

I want to have "great" graphics in games at 2k since that is the maximum my monitor (144 MHz refresh rate). I want the option of VR in the future. I currently have a:
GeForce GTX 760
32 gb RAM

I can spend a total of $1000 but the idea of migrating to a new computer is a much bigger turn off than spending the money. I have been building computers since 1989 and my hate of migrating has grown exponentially. With a new system, I...

GeForce GTX 760
32 gb RAM

I can spend a total of $1000 but the idea of migrating to a new computer is a much bigger turn off than spending the money. I have been building computers since 1989 and my hate of migrating has grown exponentially. With a new system, I assume anything but a fresh install is still a totally bad idea.

Thank you for all your answers.

P.S. Sorry if this sounds familiar to a post in another section. That seemed to have disappeared, I posted this, and then that post reappeared.

I think you should be fine to upgrade the graphics board in that machine. I think it's also worth keeping in mind- as you are on the HEDT platform you do have some upgrade options. The 4820K is a quad core, however I believe for the same socket you could also get a 6 or 8 core part which would be a good upgrade if you can find one for a sensible price.

As for if the cpu will be a bottleneck or not- that will depend on what you are after. It's probably not clocked high enough to max out that kind of gpu for very high frame rate gaming (if you are after 144 or 240hz at 1080p). If you are looking to game at 1440p or 1080p ultra settings in more demanding games then the load will be on the gpu.

As for the GPU, I personally would look at the RX 5700XT at that budget (the improved after market versions are due out next week so maybe keep an eye on on what happens with them). It's faster than the 2060 / 2060 super, and whilst it doesn't have RTX support, the 2060 cards aren't really fast enough to use RTX anyway, so I think the 5700 series cars strike me as the better deal at the moment (does depend on prices though, 2060 is no slouch if you can get it for good money, I just wouldn't pay more for it over a 5700).

Edit: Looking online, looks like that platform tops out at 6 cores, though that is the current sweet spot for gaming cpu's so might be a good upgrade if you can find one for a decent price. That machine certainly has more than enough memory bandwidth!

Reactions: gnorthern
Solution
Well, if you want more FPS, GPU for sure, yours is a bit weak atm... i'd say, if you really want the raytracing thing, you could go for the 2070 Super, its a bit saltier than the 5700 XT, but oh ell, raytracing.

if you want raytracing but also wants to be within the 5700 XT budget, then 2060 Super, i think the 5700 XT is somewhat slower than the 2070 S but slightly faster than the 2060 S if i recall correctly, and at 1080p it will do the trick, if you care not for RT and want performance for the buck, then 5700 XT is your deal, and yep, definitely wait for aftermaket cooled and overclocked ones, as amd doesnt fkin know how to make GPU coolers fml those things are loud...

Reactions: cdrkf and gnorthern

TRENDING THREADS