New Graphics Card wont boot the Computer

xAIMx

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
Hello,

I bought a new Graphics Cards, a EVGA GTX 980 Ti.
I replaced my old card and wired the 6 pin connector and the 8 pin connector to my power supply and now it won't boot. The little green LED is the only thing that turns on, but that turns on when I connect the main power cord. When I press the power button, nothing happens, no fans or beeps, nothing

I have a Be Quiet 630 W power Supply so I should have enough power?

xAIMx

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

The card have a 6 and 8 pin PCIe and I used a cable to connect them to the power supplys PCIe port

xAIMx

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

I have my AMD HD 7700 series, witch works fine, it doesn't require and PCI cords into the Power Supply

There is one thing that might be the cause I'm thinking :

I bought this :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A98T5XG?redirect=true&ref_=ya_st_dp_summary

Because my power supply diden't have any cords with it, or they got lost or whatever, and it didn't fit right away, I had to cut a little bridge between two of the pins out to make it fit in the power supply, but I was told that it was the right cord and that it should work fine, it was just from a different brand
Could this be the cause? Cause these cords are "expensive" and I would hate to have to buy a total new one

Pyre

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Well one trail to attempt: put the vga/dvi/hdmi in to the motherboard's port not the gpu, if that works good. Next if u have old gpu test that and if that old gpu does work well maybe the 980 has an issue. A 980 requires less than 200W so i am sure your psu can handle it.

xAIMx

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

It worked fine, when I tried my onboard grapichs and it worked fine when I used my old gpu, the only thing I can see if that the PCI-e cord I'm using is not the right one, but, it just doesn't make sense, even know it's a silverstone cord it is still the same, and it should work

Pyre

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

I dont think it can be done. it says "he little green LED is the only thing that turns on, but that turns on when I connect the main power cord. When I press the power button, nothing happens, no fans or beeps, nothing"

Therefore he/she cant install if they cant log on or get into bios.

xAIMx

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

I uninstalled all AMD drivers I had, and Tired to install the EVGA gtx drivers, but it would not let me cause I didn't have a evga gtx gpu installed I where using my old card, and if I plug in my new card it will not boot at all

Pyre

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

Your old gpu boots still. so i think the new gpu may need to be exchanged.

xAIMx

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

Yes it boots with old GPU and it also boots without any GPU, but when I install the GTX it will not boot up at all
Could it be the cords I'm using or does it go deeper and the card may be damaged
The PCIe cord I'm using is actually normally for a Silverstone PSU, but it should work since it has the same specs

xAIMx

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

I used onboard Graphics and just the default windows remove program
When I removed the AMD suit, it asked if I wanted to remove every AMD Driver, and it then did, and warrned me that if I proceeded I would not be able to use my AMD card without installing the drivers again

senseijtitus

Honorable
You can add the card later. For now, just check if the PC is working without the card installed on the mobo. After that, install the card and make sure it is properly based to the case. Then get into windows and install the driver and right after that, update it and check restart and then check if this issue is happening again.

xAIMx

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

The computer works fine with onboard graphics, so are you saying I should add the card while it's running? That does not seem safe at all. And I can't get any life in the computer when the Card is installed, I don't think it's the drivers, cause then I would be able to boot at least

Pyre

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

I think you should exchange, you cant even get into bios so whats to point of putting gpu in again whilst system is on.