[SOLVED] New graphics card works fine for a few days, now a random selection of games ctd on launch

Maniac3020

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
I got a (presumably) new GTX 2070 as a warranty replacement, and it worked fine for a few days. But one afternoon, I found out many of my steam games crash when I attempt to run them. Many other games will run fine though. It's really confusing.

Wierd points of note:
I could get Train Valley 2 to run by running the .exe directly.
I could get American Truck Simulator to run in OpenGL mode (DirectX mode is default)
I can run Skyrim, but not Fallout 4

All the programs that crash were running fine, up until this started.

I've reinstalled the graphics drivers, I've run a command prompt files check, I've (re)installed the C++ redistributables, nothing has worked.
Is it my graphics card?
Is my installation of Direct X 11 messed up? ( I can run some fairly new games that I assume run on DirectX 11, but not others )
Is Steam somehow messed up?
Is it something else entirely?

Solution
Try and find out what PSU you are running. When your GPU shorted out and you removed it, did you use your system after that without the GPU inside? Check the PCIe slot on your board, is it slightly melted or fused?

Use DDU, remove all Nvidia Drivers, and reinstall them from Nvidia. Run a malware scan. Reinstall steam after ensuring it and every bit of the games are removed from your PC. Could be a potential file corruption or windows file corruption.

Maniac3020

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
Asus Strix D27 DH Motherboard
Intel I7 7700K
Samsung 960Evo NVMe SSD
EVGA GTX 2070
Be Quiet PSU (Can't remember specs/not labeled)
2 WD Hard Drives
8 GB DDR4 x2

My old GPU shorted out, complete with smoke.

Last edited:
Try and find out what PSU you are running. When your GPU shorted out and you removed it, did you use your system after that without the GPU inside? Check the PCIe slot on your board, is it slightly melted or fused?

Use DDU, remove all Nvidia Drivers, and reinstall them from Nvidia. Run a malware scan. Reinstall steam after ensuring it and every bit of the games are removed from your PC. Could be a potential file corruption or windows file corruption.

Solution

Maniac3020

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
After 6 days of troubleshooting, I finally found something that fixed the issue. Using system restore to reset my PC to a point before the issue started. I still don't know what was wrong, but as long as it works, I'm happy.