Question New graphics card?

mikechance8391

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
Hello, i have an i5-10400f cpu, 16 gb ram and a 1060 Nvidia graphics card (everything overclocked) and my fps in games are usually fine, but in some games like the forest, ark and rust i have to play with low settings in order to get 60 fps and even then it sometimes drops to under 60, but it is totally playable. the problem is that the games kinda look poor <Mod Edit> with these settings and soon ark 2 and the forest 2 will come out and im not sure my pc can handle it, so im wondering if upgrading my gpu would allow me to play with decent settings in these games or do i need to upgrade other parts aswell.

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
What resolution are you playing at?
Is that the 1060 3GB or 6GB?

the GPU is likely the issue but it helps to establish your baseline before o suggest a replacement

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
Max like 600$.
Can you recommend a gpu that plays well with my cpu, because im a bit worried about bottleneck if i get a good gpu.
Bottleneck is a misnomer. Just get the strongest GPU you can afford. Every build has a bottleneck in every activity. What bottlenecks one game will not apply in a different game or resolution or framerate

If your budget is like $600 in the US, I'd be looking at AMD 6800 XT, which are going for under $600 on Newegg. A 6800 or 6750 XT will also work quite well for many many years.

if you're only playing at 1080p with no intention to upgrade, then you can save some cash and stick with the 6700/6750 XT range, or even a 6600XT, which will still be a massive upgrade over your current GPU for roughly half of your total budget. I assume at that budget that you're not really considering used cards, so i haven't recommended any

If you really really want NVidia instead, this website hosts its own GPU hierarchy charts you can use to convert my recommendations into team Green

mikechance8391

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
Thanks for the input, i decided to settle in the rtx 3060 ti.
Bottleneck is a misnomer. Just get the strongest GPU you can afford. Every build has a bottleneck in every activity. What bottlenecks one game will not apply in a different game or resolution or framerate

If your budget is like $600 in the US, I'd be looking at AMD 6800 XT, which are going for under $600 on Newegg. A 6800 or 6750 XT will also work quite well for many many years.

if you're only playing at 1080p with no intention to upgrade, then you can save some cash and stick with the 6700/6750 XT range, or even a 6600XT, which will still be a massive upgrade over your current GPU for roughly half of your total budget. I assume at that budget that you're not really considering used cards, so i haven't recommended any

If you really really want NVidia instead, this website hosts its own GPU hierarchy charts you can use to convert my recommendations into team Green

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
Thanks for the input, i decided to settle in the rtx 3060 ti.
Emphasis on "settle" haha. Happy to help.

Without knowing the exact psu you have we don’t know if there is a problem. The 3060Ti can use about an extra 100W over a 1060 and a psu failure can damage any connected components.
Yeah but the time to consider what PSU they have is before they make the purchase. If they've already pulled the trigger, either their PSU will support it or we'll be reading a new thread in two weeks about how their PC shuts down every time they play (insert game here) and they can't figure out why

Yeah but the time to consider what PSU they have is before they make the purchase. If they've already pulled the trigger, either their PSU will support it or we'll be reading a new thread in two weeks about how their PC shuts down every time they play (insert game here) and they can't figure out why
Or worse, the psu fails and damages the gpu/pc. Its why I already asked before and asked again.