New graphics Card

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hello, dear community,

half a year ago I bought completely new PC ( I live in UK and bought it from Comet). My budget was quite limited, so I decided to go for better processor rather than graphics card, but now I have been saving some money and I can afford to buy a dedicated graphics card as well, but here I need your help since I know nothing about computers. Basically, this computer is used only to play dota (not even DOTA2). Although my integrated GPU can pretty much play the game around 60 FPS first half an hour (all settings low), but later (when spells become more powerful etc) it starts dropping, game is not smooth at all and picture is jittery, which makes me completely useless in teamclashes. But this is no wonder because the integrated GPU is not really meant for playing, even though this game is quite old and recommended hardware is quite weak. But still, it is updated regularly and game gets more and more complex. Since I am really into this game and most of my free time I spend playing it, it means a world to me and I want everything to be perfect. I was hoping, perhaps, I can get some aid from this forum.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: possibly next week.
BUDGET RANGE: around 100 pounds, can be a bit more. I want to go for brand new one, not used.
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: basically only for playing dota, but on a medium settings and without any fpsdrop.
CURRENT SYSTEM SPECS:
Model: Acer Aspire X3960
Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 CPU 2.8 GhZ
RAM: 3 GB DDR3
Windows 7 64-bit
Hadrdrive: 500 GB
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 2000
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I prefer buying it straight from the shop (PCWorld, Comet, Currys etc), because I live together with strangers whom I do not trust in receiving the package and I am also working during daytime. But if this option is not reasonable perhaps I can use some trustworthy UK-based online-shop as well (pixmania for isntance).
PARTS PREFERENCES: I am complete novice in computing, so I have no idea.
OVERCLOCKING: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently 1600x900
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: As far as I am concerned only onboard graphics is the bottleneck in playing dota at 65 FPS (maximum) at all times. Unfortunately, I do not know the type of my motherboard, but I am quite certain it has PCI-Express slot for dedicated graphics card. The downside of this computer is that it is in Small Form Factor case, which means that not all graphics cards are going to fit there, but I have no idea which are and which are not. Let me remind you that I only want to play dota at medium settings without any FPSdrop at all, which means I do not need the best videocard on the market, but it has to be good enough to keep me going for a while without having to buy a new one.

I have done a bit of a research as well before posting here and Radeon HD 7750 1GB seemed like a reasonable card. It is also said that it only requires 75 W ( small form factory computer power supplies are quite weak - I think mine is around 220 W) and it is small enough to fit in SSF case. I do not know whether it is true or not, but perhaps you know better.

Please, anyone with enough knowledge, could you please recommend me something?! It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Fr3

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Should I measure my whole case (can you tell by that if videocard fits in) or the space where dedicated videocard should go?

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I surfed in Internet a bit and found out that I need low-profile graphics card to fit in my machine. Does anyone know if HD Radeon 7750 is low-profile card? Also, in case I am not able to get this particular card is there any other low-profile video card option which can run my game decently?

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I had a closer look, it is not exact computer what I got, but it is pretty much similar. Processor is the same, but my HDD is 500 GB instead of 1 TB and I have not got GeForce GT 420, but onboard Intel HD 2000 graphics. The rest is the same I guess.

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I can open the side panel tomorrow, but I cant take any picture since I do not have camera. I am complete novice in computing and I have never actually even opened a computer so for me it is a big deal. The price concerning the link is good, yes, but the reason why I posted that is that I would like to know if it is identical to the one your recommended? Are they both low-profile? If yes, then I probably go for that.

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Since I did not receive any answer whether this particular card fits in the case or not, I am going to give it a shot and see what happens. I did do some research though, and many reviews point out that it should go inside a SFF case since its dimensions are quite small. Moreover, Radeon HD 7750does not use much of a power either, so my 220 W PSU should be capable of handling it. Anyway, fingers crossed and I am going to order it now. Takes couple of days to reach me and then I have to stick it inside the case on my own, which I have not done before. Lets hope for the best, I keep you guys posted, perhaps the outcome will be useful for someone else in the same situation as I am.

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Dont worry about it, mate, you have been a great help (not to say ONLY HELP), and I appreciate it.

P0ly

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

:eek: OMG! Cancel your order! The posted 7750 card above won't fit! It is not a low profile card, but a single slot card! I have exactly the same case from Acer and the best card you can fit in there for now is a Sapphire Radeon 6670 low-profile! Here is the link of what a true low-profile card looks like.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1088&pid=1352&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

It is a great card, I can play all my currently released games at 1680x1050 with almost maxed settings (e.g. COD MW3 4x AA, SC3, Rage 3D, Assassins Creed Rev. etc. all run at more than 40+ fps).

I hope that Sapphire will release a low-profile 7750 in a near future but so far none of the vendors has a low-profile version available. Sometimes single slot cards are advertised with a low-profile cooler, but that's just wrong and confusing! The HD 7750 is aprox 10-15% faster than a HD 6670 according to some benchmarks. But 6670 overclocks well, just make sure you speed up the cooler manually otherwise the card gets very hot and will stop your game resulting in a black screen. I am quite happy with my 6670 for now, it put me through x-mas gaming season very well.

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Omg, P0ly, I am extremely delighted and thankful for your feedback. So, you got exactly same case as I do? Also small form factory PC? I must have mixed up low-profile and single slot card meanings, although many reviews stated that 7750 should fit in SFF cases as well, but I trust your judgement, because you are clearly talking from your own experience. I was going to order it couple of days ago to be honest, but I wanted these bank holidays to be over, so that everything is back to normal. To be honest, I was actually going to order it NOW from Amazon, but decided to take one last look here and it was right decision. I am not going to order it and instead I am going for the one which you recommended. Although, it only scores 1200 points in http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html , whereas 7750 scores 1800, but since 7750 is no use for me, I go for 6670 low-profile one. 1200 points is still good enough as my current onboard videocard for Intel i3-2300 CPU only scores 230 points. As the game I am playing (dota) does not need good specs at all (MW3, SC3, AC are way more demanding), 6670 should run my game at maxfps all the time. By the way, how is your PSU? Mine should be 220 W, can the PSU handle 6670? Anyway, I am very happy that you found this topic and prevented me from losing 80 pounds, I really appreciate it!

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
EDIT : I googled 6670 and found this youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0lOPwd69Xc . The guy has exactly same PC as I do (Axer x3960) and has installed 6670 and plays MW3 without any problems at all. He also has 220 W PSU (he has 6 GB RAM, I got 3GB - that shouldnt be a major difference). I think I go for it!

P0ly

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Hehe, that was close. Yes, I have the same small form factor PC and the same case, but with a slightly faster CPU and more ram, the PSU is still the same: 220W.

System Model Aspire X3950
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
RAM 8.00 GB
GPU AMD Radeon HD 6670

Actually you have a newer board with a Socket 1155, I can only upgrade to an older Intel® Core™ i7-870 (Socket 1156).

The PSU will hold. I measured my total PC power consumption and it strikes max. 160W during gaming. On idle/internet browser mode it's between 40-60W. So no worries.

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Hehe, good to hear that. I am ordering it at the moment from Amazon, found pretty good deal - around 75 pounds and delivery is for free. There are cheaper options as well, but the retailers are not as trust-worthy as Amazon is, and the difference is only couple of pounds, nothing major. Anyway, P0ly, I owe you a massive favour, mate, saved me a lot of money. If I knew you personally, a box of expensive chocolate would be due, but since I dont, I can only thank you for your feedback.

P0ly

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

Yes, I think my PC only overheated in BF2 BC a few times (maybe it's also a driver issue), he is playing BF3 though, an upgraded engine of BF2 BC. However I would never demolish my PC case and put a CPU cooler on top of it. That looks horrible and is totally unnecessary. Because the card will only overheat if you overclock to max. speed. And even then you can control the internal card fan via Catalyst Control Center->AMD Overdrive and set the cooler speed to 85% or 100% if needed(although only recommended with headphones) to avoid overheating. Normally, the card's cooler will never spin up to 100% automatically to avoid extreme noise, it will spin up to 60+% and that's enough to keep the card at acceptable heat level. Just make sure your PC has enough room around it to suck in enough air.

All my other games never overheated and crashed the card. I've been playing COD MW3 campaign non-stop for 8 hours with ultra high settings and 4x AA and my PC never crashed.

P0ly

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

You're welcome. I'll be fine with imaginary chocolate. :sol:

Fr3

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

I placed an order, will take couple of days to eb delivered, I keep you posted. It is my first time ever installing graphics card, hopefully I do not mess it up once I receive it.

P0ly

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Yes, you can't go wrong with a HD6670 for now. No one knows when and if a HD 7750 low-profile version will be available. I check the web frequently because I plan upgrading to a HD 7750 to get a few more extra FPS in upcoming titles and that's how I actually found this thread.