[SOLVED] New GSkill Ultra Capacity Trident Z compatability?

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Toms just mentioned a few days ago (article) that gskill is launching higher capacity modules under the Trident Z Royal and Trident Z Neo monikers. The article claims that they are only designed for HEDT platforms and only come in quad channel configurations. However, from gskill's website, it reads differently.

"Ultra-High Capacity Performance – Trident Z Royal DDR4-3200 CL16 256GB (32GBx8) "

"Massive High-Speed 128GB on Dual-Channels – Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL18 128GB (32GBx4) "
You can read the article from gskill's website here

From what I can tell, the Trident Z Royal's are exclusively quad channel, and the Trident Z Neo's are dual channel. Am I understanding this correctly?

Solution
Toms just mentioned a few days ago (article) that gskill is launching higher capacity modules under the Trident Z Royal and Trident Z Neo monikers. The article claims that they are only designed for HEDT platforms and only come in quad channel configurations. However, from gskill's website, it reads differently.

"Ultra-High Capacity Performance – Trident Z Royal DDR4-3200 CL16 256GB (32GBx8) "

"Massive High-Speed 128GB on Dual-Channels – Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL18 128GB (32GBx4)
"

From what I can tell, the Trident Z Royal's are exclusively quad channel, and the Trident Z Neo's are dual channel. Am I understanding this correctly?
Dual and Quad channel are...

"Massive High-Speed 128GB on Dual-Channels – Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL18 128GB (32GBx4)
"

Dual and Quad channel are only CPU and MB functions. any paired RAM sticks should work in dual channel mode but for quad channel mode you need 4 paired sticks and CPU and MB/BIOS that supports quad channel.

Solution

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Dual and Quad channel are only CPU and MB functions. any paired RAM sticks should work in dual channel mode but for quad channel mode you need 4 paired sticks and CPU and MB/BIOS that supports quad channel.

I see. So theoretically, I could put the Royals in a X570 board, but it would be limited to 128GB. Gskill just isn’t configuring the Neo’s in matched 8-stick 256GB configurations, so for example using to sets of 128GB Neo’s wouldn’t make much sense. You’d get the Royals for that. Correct?

I see. So theoretically, I could put the Royals in a X570 board, but it would be limited to 128GB. Gskill just isn’t configuring the Neo’s in matched 8-stick 256GB configurations, so for example using to sets of 128GB Neo’s wouldn’t make much sense. You’d get the Royals for that. Correct?
That MB has only 4 RAM slots so you'd need 4x32GB memory sticks and would get 2 dual channel channels as Ryzen doezn't support quad channel. For anything more you need Threadripper setup.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
That’s what I meant. Based on what you’re telling me, the royals were designed for HEDT (threadripper) setups solely because they come and 8-stick configurations, where the Neo’s do not. So buying Neo’s for threadripper wouldn’t be optimal. Thanks for answering by the way. This helps a lot