New GTS 250 doesn't do anything??

G

Hi all, I just bought a GTS 250 from EVGA, before this I was using a 8400 GS, so quite I big upgrade right?

This thing is supposed to play Bad Company 2 on ultra and everything. Well, I'm only noticing a very slight upgrade. I thought I would be seeing myself playing Shattered Horizon at max instead of absolute minimum. I wasn't, I found that very peculiar. So I set everything back to minimum, and it was still lagging! The only difference in performance I'm seeing here is the simple fact that although it's lagging at least it's running now. Oh and CS:S runs in 720p instead. But come on with a GTS 250 I should be playing CS:S in 1080p with it launched 4 times!

Anyway, the question is, does anyone know what's wrong and how to get my card to actually do it's job?

P.S. Yes I have the latest driver installed.

Hello and welcome to the forums :)
Did you completely remove the 8400GS drivers before installing the GTS 250 drivers?(Using safe mode and driver sweeper),if you haven't here is how
1_Download and install "Driver sweeper" from Guru3d.com and install
2_Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the driver and reboot
3_Boot to safe mode and open driver sweeper,then click on Nvidia and then click on clean
4_Reboot and boot normally to windows and install the new drivers(make sure you install the latest ones from Nvidia's website) after that you need to restart,and its done

G

Hi, I had uninstalle the drivers but not this way, so I did at all again following your steps. No problems occured, I got the latest driver from Nvidia which was out last week.

I also confirmed what I said about BFBC2, Nvidia themselves say that this card can run:
Batman: Arkham Asylum (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF PhysX=High)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (1920x1200 4xAA/16xAF)
Far Cry 2 (2560x1600 8xAA/16xAF)
Metro 2033 (1920x1200 no AA/16xAF – Tessellation on)
without a sweat, so why can't I even play COUNTER STRIKE SOURCE in 1920x1200 I don't get it!!!

Also it sounds like it's faulty because before I followed your method I got 6.8 in windows index, after your method I've got 6.3. But these are still good scores, before I was getting 3.5 with the 8400 GS which is obvioulsy a crap card, so WHY ON EARTH do I have about a 5% performance increase.

Somebody please help

You're cpu might be the bottleneck.

G

My current CPU is a AMDX2 4400+ 2.3Ghz, I know that my CPU is not at all in the same range as my new GPU, but I didn't see the problem. I mean I can run every game, just at very low visuals, so I thought that the only thing I had to do was get a new GPU.

G

By bottlenecked you mean the GPU can't deliver its performance at all because the CPU isnt good enough or that its possible to "unblock it"?

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Yea weehamish was talking about the cpu holding you back, in the simplest sense the gpu isnt able to to be fully utilized because its waiting for the cpu. The only way to try improve this without buying a new cpu would be overclocking your 4400, might be worth a try and if you notice an improvement then might not be a faulty gpu after all. Alternatively if you have any mates pcs that you could bang your gpu in for a quick test, if its still really rubbish with a decent cpu then probably a gpu issue.
or you could just RMA it and not bother.

First of all windows score isn't important,each time with a new driver your score may differ.
Like others said it maybe your CPU that's holding you back

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
and usually wat i see is ur windows score come down by each driver update,,, it is suppose to go up rite?
so is this windows rating useless for comparing 2 pcs?