New GTS 450 Blue Screen on Startup.

Mashman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hey everyone.

I recently got a Palit GTS 450 to replace my 9500 GT. I installed the card, plugged in the 6 pin cable, turned on the PC and when the windows loading bar comes up I get a blue screen flash up for a second. I don't have enough time to see what it says. I'm back to using my 9500 at the moment without any problems.

So I did some searching on the web and I think its likely that the problem is my power supply.

the GTS 450 box says: Minimum 400W with a minimum 12V current rating of 22A.

My power supply says 450W with 12v and 20A.

I just wanted some advice to make sure it is the missing 2A that is the problem before I buy a new power supply as to a Pro the problem could be obvious.

If anybody needs more info on my system say what you need and how I can find it and i'll get it ASAP.

Thanks very much in advance.

Its very likely to be the PSU, 20A or 240W (20A * 12V) is very low for a 450W PSU, I assume the PSU is old?

Modern PSU's have almost all of there wattage on the +12V rail(s) because modern PC components use the +12V rail(s) unlike older PC components that use the +3.3V and +5V rails aswell.
So basically I think your PSU isn't up to powering a modern PC.

Mashman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I bought the pc online pre-built so i'm not sure how old the PCU is. But I had a look at it and there is a +3.3V and a +5 on it so im guessing your dead on. I'll invest in a new PSU.

Would this one be ok? http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=323549

Thankyou very much for your help omgitzfatal :).

Here is exactly what was written on the Power Unit just incase.

Input: Output:
115VAC +12V 20A MAX
10A MAX +5 40A MAX
60hz +3.3V 28A MAX
230VAC -5V 0.5A MAX
5AMAX -12V 0.8A MAX

I've never heard of that PSU make you've linked to and I've been building PC's for along time, I'd highly recommend Corsair PSU's like this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-034-CS

Its REALLY important to buy a quality PSU, its the most important part of a PC. Worth spending a bit extra for quality

BTW I'm pretty sure all PSU's have a +3.3V and +5V rails, what I mean't before was that older PSU's have alot of their power on the +3.3V and +5V rails, where as modern PSU's have almost all their power on the +12V rail(s).

As modern components use mainly the +12V rail(s) its important to have a PSU with most of its power on the +12V rail(s)

Mashman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Sorry for making a complete ass out of myself lol, never really understood anything about the PSU and all those number's. I will definately take your advice and get a good Corsair.

Thanks again omgitzfatal XD