New GTX 1070 performing incredibly terribly and I have absolutely no Idea why.

Nekrial

Prominent
May 18, 2017
I recently bought a new Msi GTX 1070 and have been getting very very poor performance in even incredibly easy to run games like League of Legends. Games that should easily be topped out are struggling to run on medium settings at a constant 60 fps. I have tried to clean install the drivers and no change. My specs are as follows
CPU- AMD Fx-8320

GPU- MSI Gaming x GTX 1070

Motherboard- Gigabyte Ga-78LMT-USB3

Ram- 8 gigabytes DDR3-1600

I know the GPU seems incredibly out of place compared to the other low end spec but the computer was bought about a year ago based on some recommendations and a rather tight budget at the time and recently begun to be able to afford much better so I bought the 1070 knowing that it would be bottle necked for now by the CPU but there shouldn't be that much of a bottleneck to make it perform this terribly.

Bottleneck, as you said yourself.
CPU is the main factor obviously.
I would normally recommend you get an FX 9590, which is 20% faster and on the same FM platform, but it pains me to tell someone to get another FX chip in 2017.
You can get an i5 7500 with new mobo and RAM, but thats going to be expensive.

Nekrial

Prominent
May 18, 2017

Really? Its bottlenecking it that badly?

That FX-8320 performs between an Intel Celeron G3950 and Pentium G4560. Those CPUs cost $60 and $65 respectively. While your CPU would bottleneck the performance of a GTX 1070 in the vast majority of titles, I would think that you'd still be getting 150+ FPS (1080p) in LoL. Check your CPU temps while you're playing League with HW Monitor: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.31.exe

GPU: In your situation, if I was planning on upgrading platforms in the next 3 months or less, then I would keep the GTX 1070. If more than 3 months then I would return the 1070 and buy a 1060 6 GB, and put the saved money toward a new CPU/MB/RAM.

CPU: I would resolve performance issue. Then I would buy a 3rd party CPU cooler and then download AMD Overdrive, in order to automatically overclock FX-8320. That's what I would do.

Yes. An 8320 and a 1070 isn't that good of a combination. How much money are you willing to spend? If none at all then the best option, for now, would be to overclock as much as you can.

Nekrial

Prominent
May 18, 2017

The CPU is running around 50C while in LoL and other games it doesn't really go past 60C. Is there anything else you could think of that would be causing such a major issue? I am going to overclock once the new cooler arrives and I plan on upgrading within the next month or so but would like to possibly get the performance to where it should be until then.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

overclocking? not with that crappy motherboard you are not

not going to get benchmark numbers from the 1070 until you upgrade

for example it doesnt matter how fast a single man is if he needs to work with another dude on an assembly line, both will only be as fast as the slower guy

36467649_303.jpg

you are completely cpu bottlenecked there