New GTX 1080 already dropping frames

TheStevoshield11

Reputable
Jun 11, 2016
So I recently upgraded my GPU to the new Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1080. I've had it for only about a week and a half and it seems that I am already starting to lose performance in games. I am consistently getting lower frame rates in games even if I am traveling through the same area of the game. I tend to check the temperatures of all my components pretty often and from what I can see, they don't seem to be any different as they were before. Compared to the benchmarks that I found online of games benchmarked with similar rigs to mine, it is apparent that the card is underperforming. I have updated all of my drivers and have even tried slightly overclocking the card and CPU but it still is not performing how it did in the first week that I got it. If anybody has experienced something similar to this please let me know and feel free to suggest any solutions that you think might help. Thanks!

TheStevoshield11

Reputable
Jun 11, 2016

As for benchmarks I just looked a few up for The Witcher 3 and CS:GO on youtube. It seemed like they were getting higher numbers than I was. They were benchmarks for rigs with overclocked components, however, in games like The Witcher, overclocking shouldn't have too much of an effect on the fps, I'm guessing like a 10-15 difference in frame rate at most.

What kind of frames are you getting and what do you think you should be getting?
Overclocking can make a big difference. In the case of the GTX 1080, some of the models are seeing 2.3GHz overclock. Compare that to the stock clock of a vanilla GTX 1080 of 1.6GHz and you can see there is a pretty large gap.

Really need to know what bench mark you are running and what bench mark they are running. Your performance in game depends on too many factors to be used as a reliable indicator of performance.

TheStevoshield11

Reputable
Jun 11, 2016

I'm getting really good frames on ultra quality, however, when I first got the card I was getting better performance, closer to what the benchmarks I found online show. My whole main concern is the fact that the performance has already gone down within the first 2 weeks of me owning it. I went from a solid 110 fps on average down to around 85 fps in The Witcher 3 while walking through the same areas of the game. I was just wondering if there were any common factors or issues that people have that cause something like this.

skpatel71

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

you should do benchmarks of games and match average fps with the youtubers benchmarks , you cant decide if you are getting lower fps by just looking at some random fps of random places.

Run 3dmark Time Spy and/or Firestrike.

Those tend to be better judges than most. If you are slowly losing performance over time, check to make sure you have the same drivers as before, and check for viruses. Virus scanners can slow you do too, if running at the same time as the game. Do you have a bunch of programs running in the background now? Those can slow things down too.

TRENDING THREADS