[SOLVED] New GTX 1660 TI low frame rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2019
Hi, I just upgraded my computer system with a new cpu (Intel i5 9600K), Motherboard (Gigabite z390 UD), and Graphics card (GTX 1660 TI). I also used those same components to build my wife's new computer and gave her my GTX 970 that I just replaced with the 1660 TI. The problem is with my 970 I was regularly getting frame rates of 80-90 and this new graphics card is supposed to actually have higher benchmarks and fps, yet I am getting 15-30 FPS. I have seen I'm not the only pewrson to have this problem and I suspect I may need to update somethings, drivers, BIOS, etc. but I need to ask if anyone can help me figure out what I need to do, because that is waaay low. My wife's computer with my older GTX 970 and the same internal components is still getting those 80-90 fps, so I'm kinda dumbfounded. Can someone help me out here?

Aug 11, 2019
If by video cable you mean my hdmi then, yes, it is hooked to gpu. I also thought I may need to do a clean install of drivers since I had a different gpu previously. Will give it a try if this new update on the driver doesn't work.

Aug 11, 2019
Ok, so I tried the DDU and removed old drivers. I also went through and updated all drivers in my device manager that needed updating. I am getting between 30-40 fps, but that is still way too low compared to what I should be getting. I'm not sure what could be causing it. All my system temps seem ok, I think. My ssd shows 30C, HD1 43C, HD2 42C, All CPU cores show 16-18C. I haven't updated BIOS since installing, but the BIOS isn't that old. It was updated March 2019. Any other ideas? My friend said something about setting my GPU as preffered on NIVIDIA control panel, but the drop down menu isn't there. In SL my ping is from 25-40 (Wife's identical system with GTX 970 gets 80-100 FPS) and on the Isle on steam I was pinging between 30-45 FPS (Wife was doing 45-55FPS). I'm at a lose, because the GTX 1660 TI is supposed to have INCREASED FPS compared to the GTX 970, but it is showing the opposite.

Aug 11, 2019
Reactions: DMAN999

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I actually just went in BIOS and disabled Integrated Graphics and bam. 150 FPS. I wish I could have just done that through NVIDIA's control panel, but the drop down menu won't let me prioritize.
I was gonna say, This is like with my Rig, it ran like crap until i updated drivers, After that i was still puzzled why cpu was t 100 and gpu 10 percent. Then i realized Intergrated graphics are being used. But the system is a Phenom II cpu so i can't disable integrated. That is why i sold that pc for a i7 and rtx pc

Aug 11, 2019
I was gonna say, This is like with my Rig, it ran like crap until i updated drivers, After that i was still puzzled why cpu was t 100 and gpu 10 percent. Then i realized Intergrated graphics are being used. But the system is a Phenom II cpu so i can't disable integrated. That is why i sold that pc for a i7 and rtx pc
I'm glad it has that feature. I feel like the NIVIDA graphics controler not showing the drop down menu may have something to do with administrator privledges, though I tried running it as administrator and it still wouldn't show up. That's the one thing I hate about Windows 10 is that getting admin privileges are a pain.

Aug 11, 2019
Ok, I take it back. For some reason it worked at first, but now I am getting low frame rates again and I am dumbfounded. I rechecked BIOS and integrated is still disabled. I even toggled it on and saved and then toggled it off and saved to make sure. I don't understand. My wife has the same mobo and cpu. Literally, the same computer except she has my old GTX 970. She hasn't had to disable a thing, it just runs 80-90 FPS. I know this thing is capable of 150 FPS now, so I really just DON'T know what else to do at this point. It's infuriating.

Aug 11, 2019
I finally called Nvidia and it was something simple. In control panel under hardware and sounds (category view) all I had to do was change my power settings from balanced to high performance (hidden by a little drop down arrow) and bam. 150-160 fps again. He also made me make sure in Nvidia controller had my power settings to high performance (they were) and vertical sync had me try adaptive or fast. I chose adaptive, and my FPS did go up to 60, but he informed me adaptive does cap performance. So then he made me turn vertical sync off and when I restarted my game, 150 FPS. I want to note that I had messed with those settings earlier and didn't get results, so the main culprit was definitely the power mode. So happy right now. I hope anyone else that has this problem stumbles upon this thread so it can save them all the headache I just went through.

Dec 18, 2019
I finally called Nvidia and it was something simple. In control panel under hardware and sounds (category view) all I had to do was change my power settings from balanced to high performance (hidden by a little drop down arrow) and bam. 150-160 fps again. He also made me make sure in Nvidia controller had my power settings to high performance (they were) and vertical sync had me try adaptive or fast. I chose adaptive, and my FPS did go up to 60, but he informed me adaptive does cap performance. So then he made me turn vertical sync off and when I restarted my game, 150 FPS. I want to note that I had messed with those settings earlier and didn't get results, so the main culprit was definitely the power mode. So happy right now. I hope anyone else that has this problem stumbles upon this thread so it can save them all the headache I just went through.
what control panel are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.