muratgemici2003

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
According to reviews I have read, the new six core "Gulftown" processor needs software that isn't out there yet to take advantage of the 12 threads. Basically, any single core processor running at 3.33 Ghz will run most programs & games just as fast as the six core Gulftown. Is this correct? Would it be a waste of money to buy at this point unless you are working for a video editing company???

Solution

I'd agree with that, but not the OP's statement that "any single core processor running at 3.33 Ghz will run most programs & games just as fast as the six core Gulftown".

If you are running Windows (which is >90% probability), there are a lot of 'stationkeeping' background processes going on - just check task manager to see. So a dual core or higher would be better for gaming. At this point in time, quad core is more than adequate.

I'd agree with that, but not the OP's statement that "any single core processor running at 3.33 Ghz will run most programs & games just as fast as the six core Gulftown".

If you are running Windows (which is >90% probability), there are a lot of 'stationkeeping' background processes going on - just check task manager to see. So a dual core or higher would be better for gaming. At this point in time, quad core is more than adequate.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS