New hard and setup planning win 10 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

shott

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
So I am planning on upgrading hard drive in my laptop to a solid state drive
As well as the win 10 upgrade at the end of the month
Firstly I bought the laptop on win 7 I had it setup the way I like it with the drive partitioned so the os and other programmes on one part (c:) and my documents ect on the other (d:)

However when I upgraded to win 8 this messed up now trying to save documents to a new my documents folder now on the c: drive I changed this all so that the documents folder on d was default again but it isn't slick by any means and still has obvious remnants of what happened...

As I said I would like to upgrade to win 10 and the storage I would like to have it running slick and smooth so my question is what is the best way to do this can i get my c and d drives fixed and the clone an ssd as two partitions... Or do I install win 10 to the new drive (if possible) and then create a partition and move my stuff over after...
Or open to all better solutions as tbh I have no experience with ssd's or cloning drives with a laptop
(also can the 850 evo be cloned via USB?? Or do I have to do it on a desktop with two sata connections??)

Thanks in advance people
S

Solution
It might just be easier to back whatever you want up on the cloud or a flash drive, delete the unnecessary partitions, upgrade to w10, and repartition your drive and put everything back on it. I do understand why people split up a single drive, but I really don't put much stock into it. I haven't really seen any tangible performance boosts while doing this, and there's nothing that an external backup to another device and/or the cloud to save your data incase your OS poops out.

As to your cloning drive problem, the 850 evo should have come with cloning software to use to migrate your data over. You can do this easily if your laptop supports esata, you just plug into the ssd via an esata cable to the port and use the cloning software on...

Anonymous09

Honorable
Jul 15, 2015
It might just be easier to back whatever you want up on the cloud or a flash drive, delete the unnecessary partitions, upgrade to w10, and repartition your drive and put everything back on it. I do understand why people split up a single drive, but I really don't put much stock into it. I haven't really seen any tangible performance boosts while doing this, and there's nothing that an external backup to another device and/or the cloud to save your data incase your OS poops out.

As to your cloning drive problem, the 850 evo should have come with cloning software to use to migrate your data over. You can do this easily if your laptop supports esata, you just plug into the ssd via an esata cable to the port and use the cloning software on your hdd to migrate it all over. Or you could do it in a desktop like you said, either way works. I personally recommend just doing a fresh install of w8 on the ssd with some install media and backing all your data up. Cloning works fine the majority of the time, but sometimes things could go wrong either with the cloning software or the OS after the clone is done, and besides that its just easier to fresh install on a new disk. Also, I haven't really used samsung's magician software that much but I've heard that it's not the best sometimes, you might want to look into another program for this purpose. Or if the magician software suits your needs, so be it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.