New hard drive and booting trouble

jakethecat

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hello,
I am installing a new harddrive on my media HP computer because my old hard drive failed. Im pretty sure i installed the new one all right but I still cant boot up my system? Any reasons why i cant start up my computer? The bios lists the new hard drive but when i run the test i get a "BiosHd-2 or 1" error. Any help would be great. Also its a SATA drive that holds 500gb.

jakethecat

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Ok i tried changing the sata ports and now i can select boot from windows 7 cd and everything seemed to go well untill i was stuck at "expanding windows files 0%" then it says windows cannot install required files, the file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are available" i have no idea what to do next.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
it sounds like your disk may be bad... while this is not common, it does happen sometimes. what's your drive manufacturer? look on their website, you are looking for some kindof a utility CD that you can use to test the hard disk.

jakethecat

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I put cd/dvd as the first choice then hard disk for the second on the bios. And i bought this new hard drive yesterday morning. Its from WD, its called WD Caviar Blue.

G

reseat the data and power cables to the HD itself if you haven't, then try swapping data cables with the CD/DVD.

if not luck, it sounds like a DOA, sorry.