[SOLVED] New Hard Drive and it has a weird noise.

Aug 25, 2019
So, I just got a new hard drive to replace my old one. The new hard drive is a seagate compute 2 TB (ST2000DM008). I hear a weird noise when I play games off the hard drive and I'm wondering if it's normal or not. I checked S.M.A.R.T and there aren't any warnings though.

Solution
It's normal... especially chrome is caching a lot of information about every site on the disk so.... even more normal. If you want the disk not to do that, buy SSD use it for your WIndows and programs, and use the HDD only for storage.

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
This sounds like it could be the APM feature of Windows which is putting your Seagate disk to sleep.

Aug 25, 2019
What was your old dive? It's normal to hear mechanical sound if the disk is in use (loading the game, downloading updates, updating processes).
Do you have also your Windows installation on it? (if yes is it Windows 10?).

My old hard drive was a Seagate BarraCudda (ST2000DM001-1CH164) and yes on my new hard drive Windows 10 is installed on it. The noise seems to happen even when I use chrome.

It's normal... especially chrome is caching a lot of information about every site on the disk so.... even more normal. If you want the disk not to do that, buy SSD use it for your WIndows and programs, and use the HDD only for storage.

Solution