Question New hard drive beeps when booting and can't be formatted

Jul 28, 2020
I recently purchased a Seagate BarraCuda 8 TB ST8000DM004 hard drive. I connected it to my PC which has two SSDs connected already.

When I boot my PC, the new hard drive makes a distinct beeping sound, which continues for some minutes. When I open Disk Manager in Windows 10 to format the drive, I get a prompt saying "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it." The disk in question is the new drive, labeled Disk 2, where Disk 0 and Disk 1 are the two SSDs. I press OK for the prompt, and get an error saying "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

It should be noted that it is only when the beeping stops that I get this prompt when opening Disk Manager. If I open it while the beeping is ongoing, the new drive does not show up at all.

After the I/O error, I try right clicking Disk 2, which reads as "Unallocated" in Disk Manager, but all the options are grayed out, and I am unable to format the new hard drive in any way. I tried a third party partition app, EaseUS Partition Master, but I also get an error when attempting to perform a format in that app.

I tried troubleshooting the cables and connection of the new drive, but no success there. I read and watched numerous tutorials on fixing the I/O device error, but none of the suggestions helped. I tried searching online for what the beeping means, but I still have no clue.

And so now I'm here. Anyone able to help?

Jul 28, 2020
Okay, I tried running SeaTools for Windows, and ran the "Fix All Long" test on the new drive... which failed. Fail info says "Unfortunately, your Seagate product has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Seagate recommends that you run SeaTools Bootable, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors. SeaTools Bootable may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive."
So, obviously, I tried running Bootable, but the drive isn't a USB, so that app doesn't recognize the drive.
It's looking more and more like I should maybe accept the inconvenience of exchanging the drive, no?