New hard drive failed, unfixable?

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I bought a 1TB samsung hard drive to put in my old lga 775 system so my gf could have a desktop. When installing windows XP it initialy went threw the format proccess just fine then when it was on the final installing windows page it crashed giving me an error. I did some research and found this error is caused due to bad ram. I ran mem test and found the bad stick and left the remaining stick in there (2GB).

This time when i ran the install (regular NTFS format not quick) the format gets to 100% then blue screens saying disk failure, disk may be corrupted, to select a diffrent partition press enter.

I tried swaping sata cables, sata port on mobo, reseting bios/cmos, flashed bios to newest version.

I dont really know what to do next. Is there anything i can do to uncurrupt the drive? What steps should i take next?

If i cant fix it will newegg take it as an RMA? i dont really want to RMA it.

Specs are:

Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor
Abit Fatal1ty fp-in9 sli mobo
2gb DDR2 800mhz patriot ram
Evga 9800GT Video Card
Old IDE DVD drive
new samsung 1TB sata drive

Hello, about the only thing you can do is a regular instead of quick format. if it still fails then you will need to replace the drive. your hard disk failing is unrelated to your bad stick of ram. it is just a coincidence.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Then how come the first time it made it all the way through the format and into the windows setup when it crashed on the ram? did crashing during the install break it?

Why are hard drives so fragile when it comes to errors like this? i hate praying for my OS install properly the first time.

try downloading or use some ms dos tools do a fdisk/mbr and a fdisk and remove all the partion on the hard drive then reboot and see if the drive will install the os. if your mb still having ram issue see if you can install xp on the drive in your pc..just unplug your hard drive data cable first so xp only see one drive.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

Thank you i will head in this direction next!

can i plug it into my computer with my regular ssd/hdd combo running and do diagnostics on it using software as well?

TRENDING THREADS